Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xperia 1 ii - Faulty already!

MattAllaker
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Well received my Xperia 1ii yesterday (after a same-day delivery notice), and already going to have to contact O2 for a replacement/repair. This could be interesting with the stock issues!

Due to an issue with the proximity sensor, as soon as I press the call button, the screen switches off (no screen protector or case on phone yet), so I am unable to hang up/switch to loudspeaker/use the keypad on optioned menus, etc. Also stops me waking the phone sometimes as it thinks me interacting with it, is a false touch and that it is just in my pocket........

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MattAllaker
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

So after having my Vive Basestations/Lighthouses unplugged over the weekend to ensure they were off, I'm pleased to say that I've had no issues using the phone, has worked flawlessly (bar some software issues that I'm sure will be sorted in the coming months with updates). Just powered the base stations up again, and the issue returned instantly.

So it looks like that the IR light being emitted from the base stations/lighthouses was tricking the phone into thinking it was seeing the reflected light from its own IR light. The good news is that I don't have to return the phone, the bad news is I have to try and sort this conflict out between the two devices somehow.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
@MattAllaker

That doesnt sound good, have you spoken to Sony Support to see if they can recommend a quick fix.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/mobile-phones-tablets-mobile-phones/xperia-1-ii

Also the forums might help:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/xperia-1/bd-p/Xperia1
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 12

O2Karl
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 285 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 24 Solutions

Hi Matt,

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your new device, your only option would be is to inform O2 like you said and arrange a replacment.  

Once on the phone they will give you an update on delivery dates and stock. 

signature
Message 3 of 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@MattAllaker Obviously this is a major inconvenience, and there's bound to be issues with stock, but if this is a fault on day one, you need to send it back and ask for a replacement. The only thing that would prevent me from sending it straight back would be if Sony was aware of the issue and could offer you an immediate fix.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 12

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
You can try doing a software repair on Xperia companion to see if the reinstallation of the proximity sensor drivers clears it up. If not, give o2 a call on 202 to arrange a replacement.
Message 5 of 12

MattAllaker
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hey all, cheers the replies.

Yep, already been speaking to Sony for their advice, and the only thing they suggest is the factory reset and Software repair, both of which have been tried.

Phone call to O2 in the morning is needed but it is too late for tonight, the options say that the particular department I need closed at 1800.

Just slightly disappointing having an issue that requires a return less than 24 hours after receiving the phone, and already know that I could be waiting a very long time due to the stock issues! Will have to wait and see what O2 say tomorrow.

Message 6 of 12

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
Unfortunately these things happen in the world of tech.

Hope they can resolve asap..
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 7 of 12

MrLemur
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
It's a shame it might be a while till you get a replacement.
Message 8 of 12

MattAllaker
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@madasaf1sh Oh I know, I work in the field of power engineering, It would be nice if everything just worked as it was designed to, alas that isn't the case! 

@MrLemur Yep, I know, will have to see what O2 say tomorrow, the problem is I'm also a key worker and have to be contactable....... its all fun and games! slight_smile

Message 9 of 12

MattAllaker
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Well, its 2:30 am, couldn't sleep, so started thinking, but think I've solved it.

This started off by testing the proximity sensor again, to find that whilst in bed it was working perfectly fine, couldn't replicate the fault at all, despite reliably re-creating it earlier. Switched on the light to see if the ambient light level was affecting something (hey its 2 am!), which as you can guess had no adverse effect, but a quick check on google confirmed that the sensor is IR based and that's when the idea struck me and a quick walk into my living room confirmed it as the fault instantly reappeared and disappeared when I switched off two devices that I have set up.

I have a HTC Vive VR system, and the 2 base stations constantly emit IR light (there is a way of getting them to switch off automatically when not in VR, but that hasn't worked for ages for me), the IR Sensor in the phone must be working at the same/similar freq/pulse pattern as to the Vive. My old phone (Huawei P20 Pro) isn't affected and after a quick check shows that it has a different IR Sensor built into it, which must work on a different freq/pulse pattern.

Any techie in the community able to confirm if I'm on the right lines here? The sensor is behaving normally now, so the culprit is correct, but is my reasoning?

Message 10 of 12