Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi and 4G calling, O2 firmware

ejfield
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

My samsung s8 plus doesn't seem to support Wifi and 4G calling,  I think this might be because I dont have O2 firmware.  How do I get O2 firmware?

Message 1 of 21
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ejfield
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Well I've finally got it working.

A second "chat" with an O2 "guru" resulted in the conclusion thati did in fact need the O2 branded firmware.

I've was pointed at the sammobile site, which has to be the worst designed website I've ever been on. However, I did manage to eventually find and download the latest O2 firmware, and the uploading software as well.

Surprisingly, the re-flashing went smoothly and I still had all my data and apps. However, there was still no sign of the enabling options in the menus!

A third chat with the gurus went over the same old ground again, but then suddenly in the middle of the chat the options to enable wifi and 4g calling appeared!

I don't know whether this was coincidence, and it takes a good few hours for the features to filter through, or whether the guru did something to my account that he wasn't admitting to.

Anyway, b it looks like it's working now, the bottom line for me at least was:
I need to have O2 firmware on my S8+
Make sure the features are enabled on my account.
Wait fora day or so!

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
S8 will work fine on generic UK firmware too.
Make sure you have enabled it in your MyO2 and follow the setup process here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-international/wifi-and-4g-calling#samsung-setup
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 21

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @ejfield, let us know how you get on with this - any help from the above advice from @MI5? slight_smile

Message 3 of 21

ejfield
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I had a "chat" with an O2 "guru" a couple of days ago, and he claimed to have enabled WiFI and 4G calling on my account.  However, nothing has changed.

More specifically, I dont have either:

Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi calling

or:

Settings > Connections > Mobile networks > 4G calling

options in my menus, as described in the article linked by MI5.

So no, I've got nowhere so far.

Message 4 of 21

woodmj
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 54 Posts
  • 16 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
You can get any Samsung firmware here https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/ Take care though as you can brick your phone if you make a mistake.

I have an S9 on O2 from CPH & because of that CS always try to blag me off that's why 4G & WiFi Calling causes me problems because I don't have O2 firmware even though O2's FAQ says you don't need O2 firmware on the S9 & I even flashed the O2 firmware for the S9 onto my phone & it didn't fix things one bit.

Currently WiFi Calling only works if I'm connected to WiFi & there's no O2 signal at all & 4G calling was working but not since today. All my calls are now going over 3G.

CS were obstructive, unknowledable & unhelpful.
Message 5 of 21

woodmj
  • 54 Posts
  • 16 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm just curious is 4G calling working for anyone at the moment?

Message 6 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Mine's working when I'm in an enabled area, but I'm not right now, so can't check it at this very minute.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 21

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
I will test mine when in London tomorrow
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 8 of 21

ejfield
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Well I've finally got it working.

A second "chat" with an O2 "guru" resulted in the conclusion thati did in fact need the O2 branded firmware.

I've was pointed at the sammobile site, which has to be the worst designed website I've ever been on. However, I did manage to eventually find and download the latest O2 firmware, and the uploading software as well.

Surprisingly, the re-flashing went smoothly and I still had all my data and apps. However, there was still no sign of the enabling options in the menus!

A third chat with the gurus went over the same old ground again, but then suddenly in the middle of the chat the options to enable wifi and 4g calling appeared!

I don't know whether this was coincidence, and it takes a good few hours for the features to filter through, or whether the guru did something to my account that he wasn't admitting to.

Anyway, b it looks like it's working now, the bottom line for me at least was:
I need to have O2 firmware on my S8+
Make sure the features are enabled on my account.
Wait fora day or so!
Message 9 of 21

woodmj
  • 54 Posts
  • 16 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
My 4G Calling came back towards the end of last week. I guess it wasn't 'something you don't really need' as advised by CS 😛
Message 10 of 21