cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Extra - Does not work on Nexus 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there, I've been trying to understand why WiFI Extra is not working for me on my Nexus 6. Being stock Android with Marshmallow it should work, as Google has included the necessary things in Marshmallow to make it work. O2 tell me I need a device with their software on it but Nexus devices don't work like that. I've also heard I need to have received correspondence tell me I have it active on my account. I've tried some settings I found on this forum for it work but it just stays on connecting when I click on WiFi Extra. O2 Guru in my local store doessant seam to know much about it. I would like to use this feature.
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23077 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

The blurb here https://www.o2wifi.co.uk/my/extra says " All O2 customers (with a compatible device and O2 SIM card) now have access to our new automatic wifi service."

I guess the Nexus 6 is not considered a compatible device.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 25

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144352 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
My understanding is that it is not yet compatible with Android 6, but it is being worked on.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
I read that, but as its a Nexus it doesn't have any O2 software, and Android Marshmallow should support it natively. @Toby .If someone could tag the O2 Community Manager that would be great. I've tried live chat with gurus and customer services with no resolution. Thanks
Message 4 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
@MI5 thanks for that bit of info. Hopefully @Toby should be able to shed some light.
Message 5 of 25

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous,

I must ask that you try again with customer service for me. Let them know that you were advised wrongly and see what they can advise after that.

Cheers, Toby

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 6 of 25

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Bottom line is, it's o2 firmware based
Message 7 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous What should I say to them? I asked them to as it to my account. Is Marshmallow really not compatible with O2 WiFi Extra?
Message 8 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
@viridis thanks. @Anonymous anyway you could look into it and see if O2 can with Google add it to Nexus devices. I know the same thing works on US Nexus 6's ie: with Google Fi and I can get some success when change WIFI Extra to authorise using the SIM Card, no longer asks for password but it shows connecting for ages
Message 9 of 25

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144352 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
It still needs to be network compatible to - It doesn't "just work".
I'm repeating myself, I know, but afaik no 6.0 devices are yet compatible with O2 WiFi Extra......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 25