cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking a replaced mobile

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I recently had my LG G4 die whilst on a weekend away in Liverpool - took it to the o2 shop [in Liverpool] and they sent it away for repair - it actually came back and was a replacement G4.

As my other G4 was unlocked [going away to the US in 3 weeks and will be using a different sim for the holiday] I thought I'd get this one done.

Followed the My o2 app route and I get a text saying it cant be done - the subsequent email said

I'm sorry, we have not been able to unlatch your device at this time. The reason given is: This is not an O2 device, it will not be possible for us to provide an unlatching code.

Contacted Customer Services via online chat and was eventually told to take it back to the store I got the replacement rom as it was originally purchased from a store.

I've had the replacement since Thursday so I think it should have registered with o2 by now - do I go to my local o2 store and ask them or will they tell me to just contact o2?

Cheers

Alun

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

Called this morning - nice chap has escalated the request... only 7 days until I go to the US...

Starting to get concerned now!

Message 11 of 43

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

MI5
  • 144213 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
A manual request was the way it was always done previously so I'm not sure why o2 are making such a fuss about it now?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know this is a bit of fantasy... but will I have any options if I don't get an unlocking code in time?

Message 14 of 43

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Only via your local mobile phone repair shop though you may find it locked again after a software update.

Message 15 of 43

MI5
  • 144213 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Modern phones need a modification to a secured file within the system directory.
The correct unlock process will safely rewrite this file but any attempt to manually rewrite it runs the risk of completely bricking the phone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

Am I correct in thinking that even though it was a replacement from the o2 repair service that it may not originally be an o2 phone?

If that's the case [as o2 can't unlock it] even if I took it to be unlocked, don't they ask which network it is on?

Message 17 of 43

MI5
  • 144213 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Yes but it is still locked to o2.

Currently using:
Message 18 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK - a day after escalation of my problem, I get an email asking me for the same info I provided 10 days ago...

"As the IMEi requested has been replaced, in order to investigate further, please provide us

1] The original purchase order
2] The original IMEI."

I'm getting a little frustrated now...

Hmmmmm

Alun

Message 19 of 43

MI5
  • 144213 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Have you tried the ceo's office?

Currently using:
Message 20 of 43