cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking a phone is ridiculously difficult!

CM1995
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I recently made the transfer from a Samsung S7 to an S8, I kept the S7 because I wanted to give it to someone else to use who is on a different network. After calling up O2 and requesting the unlock I received an email the next day stating the unlatching request has been completed, comfirming the S7 devices IMEI number and then giving the 8 digit code needed to unlock the device.

I typed the code into the device, unsuccessful. Tried it again to be sure and still didn't work, I definately typed it correctly.

Rang O2 back and they said I might need the PUK from the sim card provider, so off I go to ring them up and receive it, which again I typed in to no avail.

I went back to call O2 again to say they must have given me the wrong unlatching number. They said they will send a new code in 24 hours.

Received the new code today, it is exactly the same as the last one and still doesn't work. I'm getting ready to give up, i've wasted hours trying to unlock this. I have multiple years in IT so its not like i'm stupid either, I don't understand why its so difficult to unlock a phone. This is the first time i've felt disappointed in o2.

To be more specific: The exact message it shows on the phone when I put in the sim:

'Sim network pin blocked enter sim network puk.'

I am 100% that the issue is the device not being unlocked and not the sim, because the sim would surely be blocked in other phones as well should the puk be to blame, which it isn't. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Unfortunately that message means the phone is hard locked to O2 and can never be unlocked.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

CM1995
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Is there anything I can do about it? Its had that same message from the start, there has been no change from incorrect attempts and it still allows you to submit codes.
Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@CM1995 you may be able to purchase a mck code online.

No recommendations but some help here https://www.technobezz.com/how-to-unlock-samsung-phones-using-unlock-codes/

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

CM1995
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ok thanks, i'll save this page and have a look at the info later.

Might make a post with a image of whats on the screen first though to confirm its definitely hard-locked/frozen because the description of it being in that state says that you can't type codes but I still can.
Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If it says "sim network pin" you still have a chance with the correct code. If, however, it says "sim network puk" it's hard locked. you can still enter codes but it won't unlock without the correct mck and unlock code.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6