Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UHD content and the XZ2/XZ Premium

JRC01
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Google Play has started offering UHD content that is payable on compatible devices, does anyone know whether that includes the XZ2 and XZ Premium handsets? I bought 1 movie but can't work out of there's a way to force it into 4k (like there is in the YouTube app) for Play Movies or not?

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Ok, so it's now in an escalation with google,
It should play in 4k, but for whatever reason, that option is not showing for in either the app, or through the movie page on YouTube, it should.
The movie itself is held on YouTube and YouTube detects our handset resolution and offers playback up to the resolution available, on the Sony premiums, it should offer up to 2160/60P and in usual YouTube clips it does, But when it comes to play movies, even if viewed in YouTube app, only offer up to 1080p.
This isn't what should be happening.
Now the options on the app, might not actually change to represent 4k viewing options, but the work around may be that if we use YouTube as the viewer, we may get the option.
I say may, because it doesn't work right now.
It's been escalated and lots of device info ect has been forwarded to the technical team.
I will get an email at some point with some idea of what's going on and will post it here.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Play movies runs in the YouTube framework so yes, xz premium and xz2 premium can access this content.
I believe included with the free rentals Google lists in your offers, battle: Los Angeles is included in 4k so great way to try it out.
Message 2 of 10

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @JRC01, I hope you found the reply above useful, but please do let us know if there's anything else the Community could help with!

Cheers for the info @viridis Hero

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 3 of 10

JRC01
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
That's useful to know, thank you, but I still want to ask whether there is a way to check if it is displaying in 4k? In the quality settings it offers only HD or SD on streaming quality, if I pick HD will it just automatically switch to UHD when playing content on a strong enough signal?
Message 4 of 10

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Let me check as I have a uhd Google film to test
Message 5 of 10

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
They've locked all devices except Chromecast ultra and Android smart TVs out the 4k streams.
Gonna report it through to them as it was Sony pictures that activated 4k on their movies, doesn't take a genius to figure which devices should be able to see them.
But at the moment. No 4K, only HD
Message 6 of 10

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Currently talking to Google about this.
It should be as I said before, "if you can access the 4k YouTube framework, you can access the 4k Google play movies"
But we can't...
Message 7 of 10

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Possible work around being looked into by Google techies
Message 8 of 10

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Ok, so it's now in an escalation with google,
It should play in 4k, but for whatever reason, that option is not showing for in either the app, or through the movie page on YouTube, it should.
The movie itself is held on YouTube and YouTube detects our handset resolution and offers playback up to the resolution available, on the Sony premiums, it should offer up to 2160/60P and in usual YouTube clips it does, But when it comes to play movies, even if viewed in YouTube app, only offer up to 1080p.
This isn't what should be happening.
Now the options on the app, might not actually change to represent 4k viewing options, but the work around may be that if we use YouTube as the viewer, we may get the option.
I say may, because it doesn't work right now.
It's been escalated and lots of device info ect has been forwarded to the technical team.
I will get an email at some point with some idea of what's going on and will post it here.
Message 9 of 10

JRC01
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Cool thanks 😁
Message 10 of 10