cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smartphone in Europe for 1st time = any tips?

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I read the info re turning off data in the air, then aeroplane mode.  Which setting will switch off mobile data?

Any tips for using mobile, pre Brexit . on the hoof for maps , info. How can i be sure data / internet is off when I finish searching

Ive used clam shel l phones abroad. Are there any differences between clam and android i should be aware of abroard.

Best wishes

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Don't know what phone you have @Jenny105 but on my Galaxy S8+ I go into settings and then into connections, then data usage and from there can switch mobile data off/on. Once switched off, you have to remember to switch mobile data on again if you want to receive texts, emails etc.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Hi @Jenny105

First thing to remember is if using your phone in Europe you will be using your allowances as if you are at home...so you shouldn't incur any charges unless you go over your allowances

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-monthly/roaming-in-europe

*What’s included at no extra charge?

• Making calls and sending texts within our Europe Zone (excluding the UK), to any other country in our Europe Zone (including the UK).
  • Receiving calls and texts in our Europe Zone.
  • Using your monthly data allowance whilst in our Europe Zone.

If you don't want to use data roaming then turn it off before you travel and mobile data as well.

Free wifi is available in hotels bars and cafes throughout the EU so make use of that if you prefer...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Thé safest way is airplane on, WiFi on, that way, only free connection is possible.
If you choose to turn on mobile data, just be aware that it’s anything from 4.99 a day to £7 per mb depending on the country you are visiting.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 7

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Don't know what phone you have @Jenny105 but on my Galaxy S8+ I go into settings and then into connections, then data usage and from there can switch mobile data off/on. Once switched off, you have to remember to switch mobile data on again if you want to receive texts, emails etc.

Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
The mobile data switch is on the pull down menu from any screen too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 7

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Tha

@Cleoriff wrote:

Hi @Jenny105

First thing to remember is if using your phone in Europe you will be using your allowances as if you are at home...so you shouldn't incur any charges unless you go over your allowances

• Making calls and sending texts within our Europe Zone (excluding the UK), to any other country in our Europe Zone (including the UK).

If you don't want to use data roaming then turn it off before you travel and mobile data as well.

Free wifi is available in hotels bars and cafes throughout the EU so make use of that if you prefer...

Thats the sort of confusion that exists. I'll reread your previous answer to an earlier post regarding data and wi fi. I still have nt got my head round it ..I'll have my small laptop with me so maybe I'll stick to that @ the hotel and use Whats App.

Where on a phone is the switch for data or which setting holds this ?

Thanks

Message 6 of 7

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Jenny105 wrote:

Tha

@Cleoriff wrote:

Hi @Jenny105

Thats the sort of confusion that exists. I'll reread your previous answer to an earlier post regarding data and wi fi. I still have nt got my head round it ..I'll have my small laptop with me so maybe I'll stick to that @ the hotel and use Whats App.

Where on a phone is the switch for data or which setting holds this ?

Thanks

@Jenny105 you can either toggle data on/off by using the drop down menu on any screen on your phone  - it's the 'up/down' arrows - or by going into connections then data usage. The on/off switch for mobile data is there. Your phone may have slightly different headings under settings; I'm quoting the headings for my phone the S8+.

Message 7 of 7