cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tethering

Anonymous
Not applicable

anyone know how to set up my xperia z3 compact as a hot spot so my laptop (windows10) can use it as a connect point ?

my phone has several options ..USB tethering, portable wifi hotspot, one touch tethering, bluetooth tethering ..and portable wifi hotspot settings ?

I am wanting to use this in France so how do I control my costs ? I'm on pay monthly and am buying 5GB p/m of data in UK within my plan, can I use this while outside the UK or can I cancel my uk data subscription to this data package while i'm in france if i have to buy european data ?

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

You need to switch on wifi hot spot and when you drag own the notification panel you have the option to touch to set up. That will show the password for other devices to connect to (you can change this if you want to). Then open wifi settings on the laptop and you should see your phone listed there.It may be listed as Android AP or other name.

Your data can't be used overseas. In France you will have O2 Travel but to be honest tethering will be sooo  sloooow and will cost you £1.99/day. Wifi or a local sim is the way to go if your phone is unlocked.

You can't cancel your data just because you are in France unless it's a seperate bolt on and not part of any contract.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

You need to switch on wifi hot spot and when you drag own the notification panel you have the option to touch to set up. That will show the password for other devices to connect to (you can change this if you want to). Then open wifi settings on the laptop and you should see your phone listed there.It may be listed as Android AP or other name.

Your data can't be used overseas. In France you will have O2 Travel but to be honest tethering will be sooo  sloooow and will cost you £1.99/day. Wifi or a local sim is the way to go if your phone is unlocked.

You can't cancel your data just because you are in France unless it's a seperate bolt on and not part of any contract.

Message 2 of 5

MI5
  • 144175 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Yeah its pointless trying to tether on o2 travel. I'm using an SFR sim for data in France and its going OK so far.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that - useful info . I sort of feared it might not be very effective so think I might abandon the idea. My data usage isn't a bolt on either , part of the package..

I've never used any other SIM in my phone, in fact I don't even know if it's locked on O2..so will investigate that avenue. I presume that with a french SIM in my phone the tethering is still not an option, or is it ?

Message 4 of 5

MI5
  • 144175 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

Yes you can tether with a French sim.
Look in your myo2 and there is a link to get your phone unlocked.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 5