cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Those Mobiwire (and other brands too) 'basic' phones - which support tethering ?

yellow_spider
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

As title! slight_smile I was actually looking at a few of the Mobiwire 'dumb' phones. Well partly dumb:

I was curious about this. Some do support tethering (USB tether, not wifi) but some don't.

The "Dakota" and "Oneida" appear to have it but the cheaper models don't , or its not listed. Difficult ot find specs for these, ended up looking at a foriegn phone company site in the end, not ideal as specs might be different in other countries, suppose if one has it at all it can be flashed in though.

I do need another 'basic' phone and these half seem ideal maybe. My requirements are -very- simple for the second phone

1. Phone calls

2. Text messages ( SMS is fine no need for MMS or anything more than 'basic plain text' )

3. USB tethering, -must- be USB not wifi tether only , that means it must be 3G capable at least, 3G is enough probably. I noted really 'bare bones' 2G phones don't have tethering. Having once forced a phone into 2G to see how it was, it was not a pleasant experience tethered, barely faster than the ancient ISDN lines we used to have.

4. Touch screen etc not needed, prefer a small keypad.

5. Browser. A basic one would be useful but I can manage without. Opera Mini or something

6. A flashlight/torch would be nice but I'm not bothered

7. Camera = Don't care either way, same as flashlight/torch.

8. That's about it really.

Oh the simple reason about USB wired rather than wifi hotspot is as I don't like the latter and it would also mean I'd have to buy two or three PCI or USB wifi adaptors, whereas with USB I can simply plug it into whatever I'm sat at.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Checkout the Blackview BV1000
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

yellow_spider
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks. slight_smile

I'd not heard of that brand before actually, but I'm not that clued up on different makes.

Only downside is it looks potentially expensive even used, but I'll do a comparison with other models.

I did think about the basic Nokia's but aside from the 'reborn' models, its quite difficult to find out what does/does not have.

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

Old Skool 6310i is a good choice (best phone ever made imho).

Nokia 6310 Mobile Phone - Brand New, Original, Unlocked Cell Phone

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

yellow_spider
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I did have one of those many years ago, up to about 2012 or so I think. It was in a bad condition though, I ended up gluing the screen back in grin , but point being it was near indestructible grin , green screen model obviously.

Might of been the 6210 not sure, it looked like the one above. Before that I had one that looked vaguely similar but had a half inch or so external antenna 'lump' on the top. Seem to recall even earlier models would take standard 'AA' type battery cells too if needed. 😮 grin

Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Ah yes. The good old days 😁

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6