Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's
Highlighted
Level 2: Apprentice
Accepted Solution

Solution to gmail problem following Android update

I thought it would be helpful to let others know of a solution I found for a problem I had a couple of months ago with Google's gmail on my Samsung J5 (2016) following an update from Android 6 to 7.

Following the update, gmail stopped fetching the emails automatically. I could retrieve them manually but it wasn't working properly despite all the setting being OK. I searched the internet and tried various changes to settings without avail. I did find a suggestion to uninstall gmail but under the App menu it can be disabled but not uninstalled.Also I didn't want to have to set up my 4 email addressess again.

What did work was uninstalling updates and then reinstalling them.

The steps were:

1. Go to Google Play app
  2. From menu choose My apps & games
  3. Go to Installed apps and select gmail
  4. Select Uninstall
  5. Answer Yes to question about wanting to uninstall updates
  6. Reinstall updates

I did not have to re-enter the email server details and gmail is now working as intended.

Topics: 650

Re: Solution to gmail problem following Android update

Very useful info @AndyinSuffolk Thanks for posting Smiley Wink

*The Game Is On*

Level 2: Apprentice

Hopefully sharing the solution will save others time and irritation.

Before I solved it, I tried other email clients. Samsung's own client, Email, did retrieve messages automatically but it does not appear to support "identities" (I have 2 in addition to the 4 email addresses) nor would it allow a secure SSL connection to one of the IMAP mail servers I use. K9 does support identities and the connections to all servers were secure but it also failed to poll the servers automatically. 

My wife also has a Samsung J5 (2016) and that also stopped retrieving emails after the system update. The fix worked on her phone as well.

Topics: 530
Solutions: 3,310

Thanks for that @AndyinSuffolk and I'm sure it will help others 😀

Community Manager

Thanks for this @AndyinSuffolk

Fantastic

Check out some of the recent discussions:
What do you look for in a new phone? Let us know what your priorities are when picking a new device!
MWC 2019 Megathread Seen any tech you’re interested in or want to know more about something? Tell us here!
Which O2 Academy gig are you most interested in this year? Check out what's coming up and let us know which gig you fancy!
Samsung S10 range - Pre-order now on O2 - Find out the latest info on Samsung's announcement and join the conversation! 

If you'd like to take part, why not register? Smiley Happy
signature