cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self cracking z3c screen? Any help

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a z3c on a 2 year contract, currently about 5 months into contract. Today left phone on side all day (it was fine this morning) hasnt been moved at all, and tonight i pick up phone to check a message and find a very thin crack across the middle of the screen, which has knocked out all the touch screen functionality of the top half of the screen. I can't do anything with it. I'm wondering if this should be repaired under warranty-it's not accidental damage, I honestly can't think of anything which could have caused it except a temperature change, but surely a phone shouldn't have such a problem (it's not like its gone from a freezer to a radiator!) without some very poor materials. I think it should be obvious its not been dropped etc. the damage is very clean-a near straight hairline crack, but i've read so many things trying to figure out what could have happened about people being charged for repairs and then the same occuring later. Can't say I fancy paying out near £400 for a phone for 5 months, then having to pay again in either repairs/replacements.

I'm hoping this should be a common sense repair but if anyone could lend me the wisdom of experience I'd appreciate it.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

We have said that you have more chance of Sony listening to you than O2. I gave you the contact numbers in my first post. Give them a ring. As said it is a known issue

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dont get me wrong, I have no doubt that other phones will have their issues much the same as sony's. This is actually the third sony I have owned and the only one I've had any problems with. And I've already rung sony. They've told me they can fix it. Unfortunately I'd already set off to the O2 shop before any of this advice came in. A rough night knowing I was in for a bit of a battle with O2-I just wanted to get it done with so went first thing. Patience being a virtue and all that. At least now I know where things are should anything like this happen again. Still, standard sale of goods and consumer rights acs do say that it is the retailers responsibility to do as much as possible to solve issues like this, not the manufacturer. Even if that meant just sending it back to sony anyway. If they can't fix it because they're not authorised to repair under warranty, but they know sony can then surely the correct course of action is to send it there, not claim that the warranty is invalad and charge hundreds for a repair that they must know can and should be fixed for free. It shouldn't be up to the customer to have to go straight to the manufacturer themselves. Not everyone gets the "call Sony!" drilled in quite so hard and truth be told, had I not been encouraged on here I would have probably left it owing to hearing it would be pretty much fobbed of, with a fee thrown in for good measure. So, thanks for the tough love...:smileywink:

Message 12 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous We know this is an issue with O2 and Anova the repairers they use. It is only from seeing so many unhappy customers that we have now started to say  'back to the manufacturer'. It's simply a case of not liking to see people having to jump through hoops...:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Lenovo....as soon as they see damage they will not even look at the phone let alone open it in case they make the damage worse. Sony will give a completely unbiased diagnosis. It's well documented on the internet and on the community. There should be an inoculation on the NHS for Anovo, antidepressants and a psychoanalyst thrown in for good measure.

Message 14 of 14