Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S8 Oreo update

CraigR
Level 4: Observant
  • 42 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

The Oreo update is now being rolled out in Germany, Poland and India.

Does O2 have a release date yet?

Message 1 of 271
270 REPLIES 270

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@paddyguywrote:
Any update on the bug fix

Just a thought but your issues may not be due to a bug (not had any others reporting issues) so wondering if you backed up and did a factory reset after updating?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 261 of 271

gazzawazza
Level 1: Joiner
  • 25 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5wrote:

@paddyguywrote:
Any update on the bug fix

Just a thought but your issues may not be due to a bug (not had any others reporting issues) so wondering if you backed up and did a factory reset after updating?

@MI5funnily enough I chose that route last night - did a factory reset. Also, specifically went in and wiped cache partition (though I'd have thought that gets blitzed by a factory reset).

I'm not clear on what bug @paddyguy is referring to though.

Personally, I'm sick of flaky notification behaviour (on the lockscreen) and LED failures to fire in Samsung's Oreo. Consolidating notification into one group (on lockscreen) simply doesn't work with some apps, though I think that's down to them.

Oreo has massively changed how notifications work

Confusingly, you can configure (depending on the app), either in-app or in Android's settings. I don't know if say setting a notification sound in an app just means it's written into the OS's notification config. Some apps, when you click on notifcations, just say "more settings" and that takes you into the OS notifications screen. Others are hybrids and others are all app-side (e.g. whatsapp)

Anyway, I genuinely believe some issues are app-side i.e. devs have to recode / update their apps.

However, LED implementation quality by Samsung is unclear & frankly disappointing. LED performance is hit and miss. I'm also saying implemenation is an issue on the basis that, according to a OnePlus5 owner (and developer), the OnePlus5's Oreo build has specific LED configuration options per-app, at the OS level.

OS level notifications can have 4 categories: basically, nothing, no sound, sound and sound & pop-up.

My understanding is that if sound is selected and you have a tone, LEDs should fire. They don't though reliably. I have my phone on silent a lot, so LED function is vital. I used to use LED manager extremely successfully in Nougat and colour coded all my main apps. I've actually given up now - that's how bad things are.

I state all the above as a warning/to set expectations to people upgrading to Oreo.

Regards,

Gary

Message 262 of 271

paddyguy
  • 157 Posts
  • 26 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Its the wifi calling thats playing up on my s8+
Message 263 of 271

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@paddyguywrote:
Its the wifi calling thats playing up on my s8+

Have you backed up and done a factory reset?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 264 of 271

paddyguy
  • 157 Posts
  • 26 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yeah its fine upto now wink
Message 265 of 271

NHaigh
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It is now June 13th 2018 and still NO Orea update for O2 UK

Vodaphone and even Smarty (which uses the O2 network) has even had the update since April

Why is O2 always the last to roll out updates?

Message 266 of 271

gjdemon6646
  • 191 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

The update for O2 has been out weeks.

You should be able to get it on your phone as i had it ages ago after it was announced on Sammobile about the release

Message 267 of 271

NHaigh
  • 6 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Nope, been checking maybe twice a week

Screenshot_20180613-083908.png

Screenshot_20180613-083924.png

Message 268 of 271

gjdemon6646
  • 191 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

NHaigh
  • 6 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you, I just checked that link and sadly I still have an S7

and this is still rolling out (slowly) but at least I know it will be coming soon wink

thanks

Message 270 of 271