Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S8 Oreo update

CraigR
Level 4: Observant
  • 42 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

The Oreo update is now being rolled out in Germany, Poland and India.

Does O2 have a release date yet?

Message 1 of 271
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigR
  • 42 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

It has arrived, I'll mark this as solved now. grin

View solution in original post

Message 243 of 271
270 REPLIES 270

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143188 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27460 Solutions
@Chris_K would know but dial *#1234# first so we know what firmware you are on please.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 271

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

wrote:

The Oreo update is now being rolled out in Germany, Poland and India.

Does O2 have a release date yet?

Not currently, but I would stress that for most vendors, each country is essentially classed as a 'market' and the roll-out plan can vary wildly from one to the other. It's not set in stone, but the German, Polish and Indian markets tend to be a typical seeding ground for new updates, and thus tend to be the first to receive them.

I can confirm we're testing Oreo for S8 devices though, and working with Samsung on our outcomes - but have no ETA or date available. As soon as thing's are a bit clearer, i'll keep everyone posted.

edit: Forgot to mention, if you're running an 'open market' device (eg, not purchased from O2) then your update would come directly from Samsung whose release schedule may differ from our O2 updates. Only Samsung would know for sure what sort of schedule they have for this.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 3 of 271

Spitfire400
Level 1: Joiner
  • 25 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
The oreo update is now available for s8 & s8 plus devices, so may only be unbranded handsets, I.e. unbranded firmware phones that get it straight away. Fingers crossed it's not another few weeks before o2 complete testing. With my previous provider it sometimes took months after release for updates to show.
Message 4 of 271

gjdemon6646
  • 191 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

DO we know how long this takes to test? I have friends on unlocked devices who got their update yesterday.

There are lots of features i want from the new upgrade

Message 5 of 271

MI5
  • 143188 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27460 Solutions
Time scales vary so no one can say.
If they perceive a problem it could back and forth for a few weeks.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 271

CraigR
  • 42 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I don't understand why O2 have to test it, Samsung have already with the long beta test. It's not like my handset came bundled with any O2 crapware liker they used to.

As of now Oreo is rolling out to unbranded S8s in the UK. Also carriers in the following countries are rolling it out. :

• Germany
  • India
  • Poland
  • France
  • Romania
  • Denmark / Norway / Sweden / Finland
  • Egypt / Turkey / Kuwait / UAE
  • Vietnam
Message 7 of 271

CraigR
  • 42 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Now rolling out to EE customers in the UK. O2 lagging behind EE, that's not a good look.

Message 8 of 271

MI5
  • 143188 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27460 Solutions
Welcome to o2’s world.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 271

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

wrote:

Now rolling out to EE customers in the UK. O2 lagging behind EE, that's not a good look.

Are we, though? 😉

You and I are different people and at dinner time, we'll have different requirements - as a result of my pretty restrictive diet, mine would probably arrive first (since there's less to cook), but it started getting cooked at the same time as yours.

And it's the same with software updates - not all networks' requirements and testing are equal. If network 'x' got the update first, that could be because they don't have the same features or requirements needing tested or updated, or it could simply even be because they didn't encounter the same issues we did during testing. Point I'm trying to make is, don't assume we're 'lagging behind' just because we don't have it at the same time - I get that's what it may look like from a certain angle, but at the end of the day when our update drops, it'll have been tested fully to ensure the customer experience is as it should be, and all our network features work entirely as expected - both for the customer and from a network perspective. And just on that, just because 'network x' doesn't experience calling issues (for example) on 'software z' doesn't mean 'network z' won't - different systems and technologies could lead to further testing or issues needing resolved.

We know you guys want Oreo on your S8 and we're working on it - we don't want you getting a half baked update that has issues calling/texting/whatever it may be. I'll keep everyone posted when there's more to share but for now, please understand pushing out an update isn't a press of a button. It's far more complex, and for some more than others.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 10 of 271