cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S4 Switching off randomly

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help! Since I installed the samsung updates last week (lollipop), my SG S4 now switches itself off randomly, and even with the battery fully charged it is draining from 100% within 2-3 hours, even with no use. It will only switch on again when plugged into a charger. I've tried switching off apps, and I have done a hard reset on the phone, but it still switches itself off and crashes. It generally allows me to do 1 text or call before it switches itself off mid-use. What can I do now considering I have reset it and it is no better?

Currently it is not useable as a mobile phone and I'm considering returning it and getting a refund!

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
1. Take out battery and physically examine for s4 bulge, the update to lollipop draws a LOT of power and could have affected the battery if the battery was already slightly effected by the battery issue.
Best way to test is to put it on a table and spin it, if it spins it's a bulged battery and you should call Samsung and they will get a battery out to you quickly.
2. Remove sd card and see if anything calms down. Media scanner has been known to go a bit silly after lollipop update. If it settles, back up sd card and format.
3. Check in settings, power options what app is using excess power.

4. Perform a factory repair using kies to reinstall Android from fresh - back up first.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123060 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous  Welcome to the forum

I am hoping our Samsung expert @MI5 is still online .He should be able to advise you...:smileywink:

Edit:It looks as if MI5 is offline..so maybe another android expert can help..? @viridis Bouncy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 13

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
1. Take out battery and physically examine for s4 bulge, the update to lollipop draws a LOT of power and could have affected the battery if the battery was already slightly effected by the battery issue.
Best way to test is to put it on a table and spin it, if it spins it's a bulged battery and you should call Samsung and they will get a battery out to you quickly.
2. Remove sd card and see if anything calms down. Media scanner has been known to go a bit silly after lollipop update. If it settles, back up sd card and format.
3. Check in settings, power options what app is using excess power.

4. Perform a factory repair using kies to reinstall Android from fresh - back up first.
Message 3 of 13

MI5
  • 144576 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27727 Solutions
One of the above should fix it for you, if not I suggest you contact Samsung for a warranty repair
http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/servicelocation/
http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/category/mobile/mobiledevice/smartphone
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 123060 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

So glad I didn't post...I searched android forums and got something completely different.LOL

Perhaps I didnt ask the right question...Fear...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 13

MI5
  • 144576 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27727 Solutions
Sounds most likely to be battery tbh......
What did you find?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 13

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I'm thinking battery too, luckily it's the easiest fix too thanks to Samsung's replacement turnaround time.
Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! Yes it is a battery 'bulge'! I'm hoping that getting a new one will resolve the issue! Thank goodness for forum knowledge experts! slight_smile

Message 8 of 13

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
No problem, nice easy fix
Message 9 of 13

MI5
  • 144576 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27727 Solutions
Give Sammy a call and they'll sort you out slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 10 of 13