[Q&A] Wifi and 4G Calling on O2

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Wifi_Updates.png

Hey everyone,

You may have seen our Software Updates Q&A here but if not, you should check it out – it’ll explain how our team handle software updates which will hopefully clear up confusion, frustration, and common incorrect assumptions. In this thread though we’re here with a Q&A around Wifi and 4G Calling on O2, to clear up some common misconceptions and put you more in the loop around how things work at O2.

Q. What is Wifi and 4G Calling, and how do they differ?

More info
A. Wifi Calling (also called Voice over Wifi or VoWifi), allows you to make and receive calls even if you can’t connect to the mobile network. When connected to wifi, you can just dial the number you want to call like normal.

4G Calling (also called Voice over LTE or VoLTE) lets you make calls using our fast 4G network, for a clearer voice call. If 4G Calling is available, you can just dial the number you want to call like normal. You can check 4G Calling coverage using our coverage checker.

They're two great ways to stay connected with O2. Wifi Calling can help when you can't get a signal, and both give you great quality calls. In 4G Calling areas, they work together to provide a seamless and uninterrupted experience as you move from one to another, without the call dropping.

Q. How do I get Wifi Calling?

More info
A. First and foremost you need a compatible device to make calls over Wifi. Not every device is compatible with this, but you can find our full list of currently compatible handsets here. If your device is listed and you’re using the official firmware from O2 (or direct from the vendor if you’re on a compatible ‘Open Market’ device), then Wifi calls should work out of the box – but make sure you’re on the latest software update if not.

Q. Why isn’t every device that can connect to Wifi able to make Wifi calls?

More info
A. The ability to make calls over Wifi isn’t purely a network functionality – it must have been included on the device by the manufacturer first.

Q. How do you decide which devices get updates for Wifi Calling?

More info
A. We try our best to support all devices that have the capability, however due to a number of factors including the amount of development involved for each device, it’s not always possible to ensure support across the entire range.

Q. Other networks support Wifi Calling on [Device X]. Why don’t you?

More info
A. Not all networks are configured in the same way which means manufacturers often have do some extra work to make the service available on their devices. This means that there can be variations in the devices that are supported from one network to another.

Q. Why don’t you have Wifi Calling on any LG devices?

More info
A. There are currently no planned software updates to enable the service on LG devices.

Q. You have Wifi Calling on a Doro, but not the latest Huawei? Why?

More info
A. We’re working closely with Huawei to enable the service on some of their latest devices. We hope to have more information soon, so keep an eye out for updates.

Q. Why is there no ETA or further info for Wifi Calling coming to [Device X]

More info
A. Due to the development required to ensure a device is compatible with the service, it’s difficult to give exact timescales as to how long this will take.

We hope these Q&A’s have helped explain more behind Wifi and 4G calling, and explained more around how complex the process is, hence why we’ve rarely got any ETA we’re able to share for devices we’re working on bringing this functionality to. If there’s something you feel we’ve missed, please let us know in the comments below and we’ll see if it’s something we should add.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Thanks for the info @Chris_K

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 4

LPM
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the update @Chris_K. Are there any plans to offer Wifi calling on Blackberry in future?

I upgraded recently to the Blackberry Keyone, but once I heard about Wifi calling I reverted to using my old phone because O2 don't support Wifi calling on the KeyOne (other networks do). I have poor reception at home so it would be good to know if there's any point in hanging on to the new handset, or if I wasted money on the upgrade.

Many thanks.

Message 3 of 4

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
Tbh I gave up on o2 supporting beyond what they already do. My next phone I am aiming to get is an Lg v30 which I want to get SIM free and oneplus 6t or Samsung Galaxy s10 as other options.
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 4 of 4