Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Android

O2 Social Media Team

Re: [Q&A] Software Updates on O2

@Anonymous wrote:
@Chris_K So if security updates are purely android based & not network related, I can slip in another network SIM card and receive the update. Then bung my O2 SIM back in with little risk?

With Security Updates, these are not “only about Android”. Google may release these updates monthly, but it’s up to the vendor to implement this into their own software. This is why you’ll sometimes see that Google has released a security update, but you’ve not seen it on your *device name* - it’ll be because that vendor hasn’t yet implemented it. Security Updates sometimes also come bundled with other fixes and updates – though that’s not always the case. Either way, if your device was purchased directly from O2 then inserting another network sim card shouldn’t pull down a security update if it’s available on that network before ours – though I’d refer you back to our Q&A question for this as our timescales for security updates are very tight, so any ‘delay’ should be minimal.

In the case of Open Market devices (such as those purchased from CPW, for instance), these should all be released at the same time regardless of the network. If you have such a device, then the security update should arrive at the same time, regardless of what network you’re on. It’s possible however that the process of inserting a different SIM triggers or forces a software update check, which could give the impression of it downloading on that network first – even though they’d have been available simultaneously.

CommunitySig.png

Topics: 48
Kudos: 587
Solutions: 48

@Chris_K Can I just say this is a great article and one I know in the forum will now answer many questions 

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Level 39: Midshipman

Rather amusingly i got the november security update today (LG v30)...
Now using the LG V30.

Previously: LG G4, Sony Z1, HTC Sensation XE, Samsung Omnia i900
Try the Tech Galaxy Note 4
Try the Tech Lumia 640LTE and Microsoft Band
Highlighted
O2 Social Media Team

@darrengf wrote:

@Chris_K Can I just say this is a great article and one I know in the forum will now answer many questions 

Cheers Darren. It's something I've noticed becoming more prevalent in recent months so thought it'd be great to create an in-depth resource that'll hopefully serve as a single place to get any/all info related to software updates Smiley Happy

If anyone has any other Q's you think aren't covered, but should be, just let us know and we'll look into it.

CommunitySig.png