Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel 6a - 4G Calling Support?

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36557 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1623 Solutions

When will the Pixel 6a be supported for 4G calling, needed since start of 2023 for voice calls when roaming in the USA?

From 2023, you’ll be unable to use your UK mobile phone to make regular calls when visiting the USA because of changes to their mobile networks. However, you’ll be able to use your phone to make calls using the 4G network – provided you have a compatible phone.

Ref: https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-international/travelling-to-the-usa

Supported phone models list shows:

4G Calling Device List - Google Pixel 5, Pixel 4a, Pixel 4, Pixel 4XL, Pixel 3a

Also the O2-provided IMEI check tool on the page above reports:

Screenshot_20230128-084418.png

Come on, O2 - your own O2 Shop offers the Pixel 6a, and above, so why does your Roaming Service and relevant support pages not mention it, in fact tells you "Sorry, dude, voice calling from the USA not alowed".

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145102 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27833 Solutions

4g and wifi calling go hand in hand and are native to android OS.

All phones sold by O2 now support wifi calling, therefore, alll work with 4g calling.

Most likely just more out of date mis information on the website/app.

Wifi and 4G Calling

No signal? No problem, with Wifi Calling. Whether you’re at home, in a coffee shop or at the office, if you’re having a signal problem, you can use wifi to call as normal. And 4G Calling lets you make calls over 4G, meaning clearer calls.

With Wifi and 4G Calling you’ll move seamlessly between wifi and 4G network coverage to continue your call. And you can still check your social media or send an email while you’re on the phone.

All the 4G and 5G devices we stock now support 4G and Wifi Calling.

https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 5

pgn
  • 36557 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1623 Solutions

Yes, thanks @MI5: even the page you link to above adds to the confusion in the FAQ section...

Screenshot_20230129-173234.png

The comment about O2 Travel is bunkum, and no mention of Travel Inclusive (eg for USA) or that Roaming in O2's Europe Zone (EU and FTA) Countries is included by default.

Not at the races in several areas ...

Message 3 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145102 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27833 Solutions

Wifi calling not available abroad but it's 4g calling that's required which does work abroad.

It'll take years for the website o be updated too.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 4 of 5

pgn
  • 36557 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1623 Solutions

Just a little bump on this one, for @Breanna or @Martin-O2, as the O2 official https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-international/travelling-to-the-usa link still insists  that the Google Pixel 6a I bought last December "is not compatible with 4G Calling abroad"!

pgn_0-1683451092107.png

Message 5 of 5