cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone has been hacked

Anonymous
Not applicable

I foolishly gave my details (bank a/c, O2 mobile number) to what I "thought" was a Talk Talk rep. Very slick operation. But I rang a genuine Talk Talk number and they said they *do not* use the 0800 number I had used to "book" their services. Since then I have been extremely concerned about hacking and identity theft. Today, I left my place of work, where I use wifi, and got into my car. Immediately I was connected to a WiFi network called "TalkTalk520". The connection appeared as an unsecure WiFi network, but I was connected! Straight away I selected 'Forget Network' and powered the phone off. But now I am unsure what to do ...

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Contact your bank and get your account changed immediately.
Then contact O2 CS and get your phone number changed.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Contact your bank and get your account changed immediately.
Then contact O2 CS and get your phone number changed.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I doubt very much your phone has been hacked in the conventional sense of the word. Yes, maybe a programme has been downloaded but you did the right thing in forgetting the network. Do as advised above but if you have further problems then backup your photos etc and do a factory restore.

Message 3 of 4

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

First thing I'd have done is get in touch with your bank. Secure your possible outlets of finances (bank, O2,) and it might be worth calling action fraud (police fraud team) dialing 101 will get u the right procedure there.

Message 4 of 4