cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2's range of Android devices

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been an O2 customer for about 15 years now and after many years on iOS devices I switched over to Android about 18 months ago, opting for a Galaxy S6 which I've been very pleased with. However the distinct lack of security and software updates for the device has left me pretty disillusioned, especially as the Android world is now talking about Android Oreo when I haven't even received Nougat yet...........Smiley Mad

It's getting near renewal time and as I'm on Refresh, I've been looking for a new phone. I've noticed that O2's range of flagship Android devices is pretty much one of the most lacklustre ranges offered. Other networks, such as EE and Three, have the LG G6, Sony XZ Premium advertised for pre-order, whilst EE itself also has the Google Pixel. 

I'm just wondering why O2's flagship Android range is so paltry? As it stands at the moment on O2's online storefront, unless you want a Galaxy S8 or a Huawei P10, you're pretty much faced with choosing from an older or lower range device. With a number of issues with the very fragile S8 slowly coming to light (along with Samsung's poor response and customer service) I think I might stay away from that device, but what other options do I have on O2 right now? I'm not convinced by OnePlus or Huawei, either.

There isn't even an mention of the LG G6 (which I'm very interested in) or Sony XZ Premium on the O2 site, despite other networks having those devices for pre-order or in the "Coming Soon" section of theirs. 

After 15 years with O2, it could be time to jump to EE, especially with my ongoing very frustrating experiences with the severe data throttling offered by O2 Travel on my now frequent trips to Europe, making it all but unusable. (when EE offer a 4GEE Max "roam like home" plan that lets you use your UK data in Europe without throttling or extra charge as part of your contract, together with a wider range of flagship Android devices)

Right now I'm staying with O2 out of loyalty and laziness, but both are wearing thin...........Destroy

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Just move whilst you got the chance.
O2 has been declining for a number of years and the missed opportunities with exclusives on new devices just go to compound their decline by showing they aren't willing to commit to them.
The only unknown is what O2 will offer when forced by Ofcom to offer free roaming in June as they haven't announced any plans yet but everyone agrees it's not worth bothering with currently.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 16

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

As it stands, the only possible reason or advantage in staying with O2 is Refresh. Handsets and tariffs are poor value and and minimal choice. 

Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi MI5 and jonsie, thanks for replying!

I agree, I'll just be sad to go after so long with O2, but they no longer meet my requirements. I can't even remember my first O2 device, it was that long ago! As the UK's second biggest network, I just can't fathom why O2 offer such a poor range of flagship Android devices and don't even make reference to something like the LG G6 which has actually been out in the wild for some time now. 

Paying a daily fee for extreme data throttling with terribly slow speeds in Europe when I am heavily dependent on a data connection just isn't acceptable. I get that it's "unlimited data" but in reality it's unusable. Waiting upto several minutes and even longer just to load up some public transport directions is awful, when there are viable alternatives offered by other networks.

Especially as I can pay exactly the same monthly contract fee to get the device I want along with a "roam like home" unthrottled UK-speed data connection on EE.

When I went into my local O2 store recently to look at an S8, the sales assistant asked me what else I was interested in. When I mentioned the LG G6 or Google Pixel she just looked at me with a blank face, then immediately tried to sell me a Samsung A5 whilst telling me that it was actually a superior device to the S8. I politely declined (whilst chuckling to myself) and left the store. LOL

Message 4 of 16

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I'm convinced they don't employ people with any idea about phones at all half the time!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 16

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Probably not - they just take the most suitable person at any given time, regardless of how well (or not) they fit the actual criteria that makes up a good sales person.
In reality, they should make sure that whoever they employ has the minimum amount of knowledge through training.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 16

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

To be fair, staff are limited to working with what they have but they have very little. I can imagine the doom and gloom and their conversations when competitors release their flagship models. Hell, I bet they spend their lunch hours in CPW gazing in awe! 

Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't have it in my heart to point out the lack of credibility behind the sales assistant's "A5 > S8" comment to her, even when she insisted that it was true after I asked her if she was sure. I just thanked her for her help and told her to have a good shift at work, then left the store. As someone who knows about tech, I was embarrassed for her. 

Looking at EE just now, they even have their 4GEE Max contracts available with an early upgrade option after 12 months, similar to Refresh which I'm on now and have been on since it first came out.  

I love Refresh and O2's customer services, which have always been top notch. I've dealt with O2 call centres a few times and they were the best at customer service along with Apple themselves. Anyone I know who has dealt with EE has had a negative experience. I'll be sad to go after 15 years, but it looks like it's time for a change!

Message 8 of 16

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Back in the UK I transferred a P&G number to EE. Never had a problem at all and I called them a few times. Coverage and 4G was infinitely better where I lived even after O2 upgraded the masts to 4G. The tariffs were superior too in my opinion though it was a couple of years ago. 

Message 9 of 16

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Coverage is still better around my area on EE but O2 is cheaper for my needs.....

Currently using:
Message 10 of 16