cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2's range of Android devices

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been an O2 customer for about 15 years now and after many years on iOS devices I switched over to Android about 18 months ago, opting for a Galaxy S6 which I've been very pleased with. However the distinct lack of security and software updates for the device has left me pretty disillusioned, especially as the Android world is now talking about Android Oreo when I haven't even received Nougat yet...........Smiley Mad

It's getting near renewal time and as I'm on Refresh, I've been looking for a new phone. I've noticed that O2's range of flagship Android devices is pretty much one of the most lacklustre ranges offered. Other networks, such as EE and Three, have the LG G6, Sony XZ Premium advertised for pre-order, whilst EE itself also has the Google Pixel. 

I'm just wondering why O2's flagship Android range is so paltry? As it stands at the moment on O2's online storefront, unless you want a Galaxy S8 or a Huawei P10, you're pretty much faced with choosing from an older or lower range device. With a number of issues with the very fragile S8 slowly coming to light (along with Samsung's poor response and customer service) I think I might stay away from that device, but what other options do I have on O2 right now? I'm not convinced by OnePlus or Huawei, either.

There isn't even an mention of the LG G6 (which I'm very interested in) or Sony XZ Premium on the O2 site, despite other networks having those devices for pre-order or in the "Coming Soon" section of theirs. 

After 15 years with O2, it could be time to jump to EE, especially with my ongoing very frustrating experiences with the severe data throttling offered by O2 Travel on my now frequent trips to Europe, making it all but unusable. (when EE offer a 4GEE Max "roam like home" plan that lets you use your UK data in Europe without throttling or extra charge as part of your contract, together with a wider range of flagship Android devices)

Right now I'm staying with O2 out of loyalty and laziness, but both are wearing thin...........Destroy

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with the coverage, I have to say that O2's 4G coverage for my home and work are both at 1-2 bars of 4G each, with my commute to work being down to the slowest speeds possible in places. Family members and work friends on EE have full max bars of 4G at both my home and at work and even "Double Speed 4G" (whatever that is - is that like 8G's?Astounded) at my work place. My commute is fully covered by EE 4G. 

Weighing the online prices up, if I wanted an S8 on contract with both O2 and EE, then it would cost me pretty much the same on both networks, with early upgrade options available on both. O2 is £9.99 up front and £64 per month, whilst EE is £9.99 up front and £65.99 a month. However EE would offer me 25GB a month data over O2's 20GB (I need a big data plan) better coverage, faster speeds and "roam like home" UK-speed data coverage in Europe as part of my plan, whilst O2 would charge me per day in Europe for a heavily throttled, almost unusable service. 

Message 11 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Looks like you've talked yourself into it then wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 16

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

No arguments from me. You seem to have it all worked out. Oh.... and don't worry, you will get exactly the same rewards next year for your past loyalty to O2 as you would  get by staying. 

Message 13 of 16

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

As an HTC user..I've had to buy my last two handsets direct from HTC . This year my contract is up, and since O2 have seemingly finished with HTC altogether, Refesh doesn't even interest me anymore ..so it may be time to move on altogether or go with a sim only contract. Haven't decided yet, but since they show no loyalty, or diversity any more, there's no reason to stay 

giphy-3
Message 14 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Look what appeared on the frontpage of the O2 site today;

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/phones/lg/g6

And an offer to get 20GB of data (my current plan as I mentioned earlier) for the price 5GB. 

As if by magic.......perhaps they do browse these forums!

Message 15 of 16

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
A miracle wink !
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 16