cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Wifi on the London Underground

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear All,

Just started with O2, and am still within my "buyer's remorse" period.

Love everything about my Nexus 5, but have come across something that is making me seriously reconsider my switch from a competitor.

I live and work in London, and I noticed today that with O2 when I sign on to the wifi on the London Underground, while I am able to browse the internet I am unable to use any of my apps that require an internet connection.

Am I doing something wrong?  Or does O2 wifi allow internet browsing only?

This will be a major deal-breaker for me, as my previous mobile company allowed access to this, as do most (if not all) of O2's competitors in the region.

Please advise me whether I am just making a user error, or if this is in fact how the O2 wifi works.

Yours sincerely,

David

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I have never heard of anyone saying this before and it should work as normal, the FAQs are here:

http://www.o2.co.uk/underground

If you signed up when your number was on another network and ported it to O2 you should delete your O2 W-Fi account and re-register.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 5

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 24075 Posts
  • 1049 Topics
  • 3778 Solutions

A major deal breaker? Seriously? How much time do you spend in a ticket hall or on an escalator or on a platform every day?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Two hour commute daily, plus having to monitor during weekend. All told, about 14 hours spent. Factor in working in an industry where having minute-by-minute updates is a distinct advantage, the fact that the apps I use don't have a website equivalent, the fact that my boss is used to me being able to pull updates during the commute, and the fact that my previous phone had no problem with it, unfortunately adds up to a deal-breaker.

Anyone else in London have this problem? Hoping it's just me, which would mean it's fixable.
Message 4 of 5

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 24075 Posts
  • 1049 Topics
  • 3778 Solutions

You may commute two hours, but I would imagine that most of that time is traveling, in which case you wouldn't be able to use WiFi anyway, and at the moment it's only available at 120 stations. How many of those stations do you go through? It's Virgin that supplies the WiFi connection. Maybe you should be asking your questions to them.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 5