cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note 3 won't connect to home sky wifi

Anonymous
Not applicable
My note 3 will connect to every other wifi but my home one, it did do but has stopped recently after I think a soft ware update on the phone. I've had a new hub from sky, and everything else works ok on this. I've tried everything on the net I can find including a factory reset, which was a pain having to download all the apps again as it didn't transfer them back from the back up I saved. 02 have said return the phone for repair, but last week it started working again for no reason. Now it's gone off again and still I've done nothing to the phone. 02 so called in store Guru said he could do nothing to help which was a waste of and hour. So if he couldn't do anything what's to repair? Never had this trouble with my iPhone 5. Love the phone just with it would work as it's suppose to. On line chats were useless also.
Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd agree with @MI5 on this, try connecting to the router with the security disabled and build up from there. Would appear to be an issue with the router rather than the device if it connects elsewhere.

My old S4 had a tendency to disconnect from my BT Homehub, but that came down to interference from multiple neighbours routers, so changing the channel it operates on (if you can do that with a Sky hub?) may also help? Oh, and the 5Ghz band is less used, so less likely to have interference.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I assume you've reset the router itself and or chosen another wireless channel.

Forget the wifi network in your phone and re key in the wep code again.

Does the phone connect to other wifi ok , as in shops and cafés etc.

Other phones and devices latch ok to your router.

Their are Note 3 users on here so hopefully they may be able to offer up some tips and tricks you've not tried before.
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Rests router, changed channels, forget network. It comes up on the phone now and again incorrect password but I know it's right. Phone connects to other wifi perfect and to sky wifi/ and cloud in cafés n pubs. All the other wifi devices connect fine at home. Just keeps saying obtaining IP address or failed authentication.
Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm sure it started after a software update on the phone, I remember seeing something but it did it automatically
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you tried turning it off , remove battery (handset dependant) and turn back on.

After a firmware update it's generally suggested a hard reset is performed to clear the phone of old files ~ a bit like a spring clean. slight_smile

But as you say you've already performed this.
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable
Tried all that, PM the user on that forum and he said he got no joy from the users there and his phone just started working again. I'm at a loss on this, should have stayed with Apple as I never had any trouble with the iPhones. My problem is if it connects to other wifi how can O2 repair something they possibly can't find fault with? Only got the phone in late March. And reading on the net there are loads of note 3 phones having trouble with wifi.
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
You do have the option to ask the manufacturer to take a look.

It would entail sending it off.

Although one would assume that wifi connection should drop for any type of connection.

Everything seems to be pointing to the Sky Router.
Message 8 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143455 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Have you tried changing the router security settings?
As a temporary check turn all security off, then try working upwards from wep through the other settings.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is your home network 2.4 or 5gz? I only ask because my note 3 seems to connect much better to my 5gz setup than 2.4 but that could just be interference
Message 10 of 11