cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus 4 wi-fi connection issues

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have problems with wifi connection on a Nexus 4. It constantly timeouts, or simply crashes. If I try to download on the mobile network it works fine, but uses the data allowance. is there any way of lengthening the time before a timeout?

Message 1 of 20
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Set Wi-Fi notifications, disconnect policy, & other advanced options:

To work with advanced Wi-Fi settings:

1.  Turn on Wi-Fi, if it’s not already on.
2.  In the Wi-Fi settings screen, touch Menu > Advanced.
These are the settings you can adjust:
• Network notification. By default, when Wi-Fi is on, you receive notifications in the Status bar when your phone detects an open Wi-Fi network. Uncheck this option to turn off notifications.
• Keep Wi-Fi during sleep. To conserve mobile data usage, your phone stays connected to Wi-Fi when the screen goes to sleep. Touch this option to change this default behavior: either to stay connected to Wi-Fi only when the phone is connected to a charger (when battery life isn’t a problem), or never to stay connected to Wi-Fi during sleep.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Set Wi-Fi notifications, disconnect policy, & other advanced options:

To work with advanced Wi-Fi settings:

1.  Turn on Wi-Fi, if it’s not already on.
2.  In the Wi-Fi settings screen, touch Menu > Advanced.
These are the settings you can adjust:
• Network notification. By default, when Wi-Fi is on, you receive notifications in the Status bar when your phone detects an open Wi-Fi network. Uncheck this option to turn off notifications.
• Keep Wi-Fi during sleep. To conserve mobile data usage, your phone stays connected to Wi-Fi when the screen goes to sleep. Touch this option to change this default behavior: either to stay connected to Wi-Fi only when the phone is connected to a charger (when battery life isn’t a problem), or never to stay connected to Wi-Fi during sleep.

Message 2 of 20

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

That seems to have made the difference. i don't understand why but thank you

Message 4 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for this link. I can't understand why it is not given with the phone.

Message 5 of 20

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

It's a fairly standard Android feature and is available in loads of sites online.

Turning off data may help to prevent the phone connecting to the gsm network too.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 20

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi guys,I have made a new thread out of this question.

Cheers!
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 7 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am still having problems with wifi connection. Chrome seems to time out very quickly, and other websites seem to go so far and freeze. The steps suggested seemed to improve the situation, but not solve the problem. There seems to be traffic between the phone and the modem all the time, but I have switched off auto sync.

Message 8 of 20

MI5
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions

Many apps will still update regardless of auto sync settings. As for the wifi dropping issue - does it do it on all wifi connections or just a specific one. It may be a router issue rather than a phone issue?

You can also try disabling / enabling wifi power save in service mode.

WiFi Power Save Mode:

Dial *#0011#
Hit menu key
Select WiFi

Toggle power save mode at bottom of menu
It will cycle WiFi to enable.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

It does it on most connections - chrome more so. I'm sorry, but I don't understand the second bit - where should I dial *#0011#.

I have been through the router menu, but don't understand much of the settings, so am not confident to change anything. I didn't see anything about power saving.

Message 10 of 20