Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact cannot see/get WiFi Calling to appear

CVP99
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've read similar threads, but nothing seems to help/match my situation, so hoping someone here may have an idea!

At the weekend, I switched from an iPhone to a new Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact - had enough of Apple tying me down and charging too much for new gimics! 

Very pleased with the phone and love the form factor, but I need WiFi Calling to work!

On my iPhone, it was working fine for months, switched the SIM card to the new Sony a few days ago and just cannot get the WiFi Calling or VoLTE options to show in settings. 

Spoke to O2 customer services, who said WiFi Calling was still showing as enabled for that SIM/Account, so why can't I see the options?

For info, the SIM is on a Business SIM Only, pay monthly and the phone was purchased outright from an O2 shop and appears to have the O2 firmware - Chrome homepage goes to O2.

It says it is running the latest software version 51.1.A.11.26.

Anyone have any ideas!

Thanks

Clive

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144329 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@CVP99

It might be because you are still on the idata for iPhone data bolt on.
Ask them to check that you are on standard data for android.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 23

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @CVP99, and welcome to the forum Wave It'd be fantastic if you could keep us in the loop of your progress, it'll be interesting to find out how this gets sorted.

If you're still stuck after all the advice above and another call to Customer Service, please let us know so we can check on our end what the options might be slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 12 of 23

CVP99
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well still no joy after three online sessions with CS this past week. Each time they tell me WiFi calling is active on the account. They remove/readd the service and tell me to wait 24 hours and see if it activates, but still nothing - yes, I restart the phone each morning!

I've now found the hidden menu using *#*#4636#*#*

Under 'Phone Info' there are toggles for 'VoLTE provisioned' and 'Wi-Fi Calling provisioned', which are off and greyed out, so they cannot be changed.

Does anyone know if this means the phone has not seen that the service is enabled for the account, or does it mean the firmware is not capable of supporting it? The phone should be running the O2 firmware - Chrome homepage does to O2...

If nobody here has any ideas, then I'll give CS another chance on Monday, but if I cannot get WifFi calling to work - poor signal in my area and I need the phone for business calls - then I'll take it back to the O2 store within the 14 days and if they cannot resolve the issue, I'll get a refund and go back to my iPhone, which worked perfectly with WiFi calling from the moment it was activated!

Thanks all... 

Message 13 of 23

MI5
  • 144329 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Sounds to me like it's restricted by the firmware..
@viridis will know though?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 23

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I dont think it's the firmware,all the xz2 compacts have it activated on o2 firmware and if they got it from o2, with o2 home page on chrome, its definitely there.
But, volte option greyed out in the hidden network menu would indicate it is not active on the sim.
I'm not to fully up to speed on business accounts but do you get the option in my o2 to see your device, because there should be an activate wifi calling and volte menu in there.
Message 15 of 23

CVP99
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

No, for business accounts, you have to call CS. Three times in the last week, they have told me it is active and they have stopped/started it again, with no luck.

As I say, it was working on the iPhone using the same SIM. I may try swapping back to the iPhone and see if that still works.

Message 16 of 23

MI5
  • 144329 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Have you actually asked them to check you are on standard data as I suggested above?

Currently using:
Message 17 of 23

Betablue
Level 4: Observant
  • 57 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@viridis and @CVP99 the option is under Settings, Network & Internet, Mobile Network. This was one of your suggestions if course @viridis but just in case you didn't have an xz2 compact right with you I thought I'd confirm.
Message 18 of 23

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Have you actually asked them to check you are on standard data as I suggested above?

It's something network related, 100%

And yeah, if the phone doesn't see the correct Api on boot from sim, it wont enable the function.

Idata would definitely stop it.

Message 19 of 23

CVP99
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for people's suggestions here - yes, I had asked whether there was something that O2 had to change for the data bolt on, when switching from an iPhone to Android and was told it is now a 'common' bolt on for the two. Also, I was not seeing idata in the APN settings - was setting to mobile.o2.co.uk. 

Anyhow, I switched the SIM back to my old iPhone yesterday and WiFi Calling instantly reappeared. I've spent a week messing with the XZ2 to get it setup how I want and I was pretty much there. But switching back to the iPhone yesterday evening, I realised just how much 'easier' the IOS interface was to use - there is plenty I don't like about IOS, but I think it works far better me, for what I use the phone for on a daily basis.

I am therefore going to use the 14 day exchange policy and take it back to the store this week and pay the extra for a newer iPhone - yes I know the new iPhones are being announced in a couple of weeks, but I want one with a home button/fingerprint reader, so the X or new 'XS' are not for me - irrespective of the huge price!

Thanks again for peoples' attempts to help.

Message 20 of 23