cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am about to buy a Samsung S4 but not from O2. Once I have bought it I want to keep my O2 account and my phone number. Can anyone give my step by step info. I'm getting on a bit (78) and although reasonably PC literate, I have no experience at all on android phones... 

TIA for any help....

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149370 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
If you have an O2 pay as you go or sim only contract just use your sim in the new phone.
If it needs a different size sim just ask in store to do a sim swap to the correct size and type of sim card.
Hopefully the S4 you are buying will be unlocked for O2's network?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 39

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149370 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
If you prefer you can obtain the correct sized sim card from O2 CS and perform the sim swap yourself online here http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 39

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

If you are on a contract at the moment that included the phone you may also want to switch to a SIM only contract which should work out cheaper. slight_smile

Contact Customer Services or see an advisor in a store.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 4 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
As we don't know what kind of Tariff or account type or the phone your moving from its a bit difficult to fully advise.

You should ensure you have a minimum 1gb data allowance tho. slight_smile
Message 5 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you let us know what phone/device you're coming from, we could offer more detailed advice regarding transfer of contacts and any other data as well.

Message 6 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Its a Samsung S8300. I've had it so long, I am not sure of its name but I think it is a Tocco (Sliding front). The back broke so it is taped down, but keeps spring off.  

BTW Thanks everybody for the input...

Message 7 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're very welcome from us all.

If you use gmail then that can be used to transfer contacts from one phone to another.

Seems the original phone and "tape" has served you well. slight_smile
Message 8 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
Your new chosen phone the Galaxy s4 takes a micro sim.

I would think your going to need a nephew sim to take advantage of 3G and possibly 4G if it's available in your areas nod you take up a 4G tariff.

When you insert your sim you should get all the needed set up texts however here is a Help links : http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/Connecting-Android-Phone-to-Data-Servi...
Message 9 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't use gMail, and I don't expect to. I do have Samsung New PC Studio installed if that's any good...?

Message 10 of 39