cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to unlock my phone to take an Australian sim for holiday

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive just landed in Oz and my HTC Onex+ has eaten all my money because of data charges. The only sane way of using my mobile here as a data device which I need, is to get a local PAYG sim and use that for duration of holiday.

Ive got the sim but now my phone looks for an unlock code to allow it to work.

Any help appreciated. 

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93235 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

You can only get the phone unlocked by filling in the unlock form or by contacting customer service. It will however take upp to 14 days to get the unlock code. Can you not just switch off mobile data and use wifi?

unlocking form

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

jonsie
  • 93235 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

You can only get the phone unlocked by filling in the unlock form or by contacting customer service. It will however take upp to 14 days to get the unlock code. Can you not just switch off mobile data and use wifi?

unlocking form

Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why not buy a cheap ozzie PAYG phone then sell it before you leave Oz?   I just looked online and saw basic android phones like LG Optimus at AUS$79 and Samsung Galaxy Y at AUS$98 - that's around £52-£65.  If you just want to make calls, there are basic PAYG phones going for AUS$22 - that's  less than £15 (you can always use your existing phone for data).  At £15, you can practically afford to throw it away afterwards - or donate it to a charity shop.

Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

unlocking form

Jonsie, I may be wrong but I thought you could not unlock your phone abroad or did I read that wrong on the forum somewhere?

Message 4 of 6

MI5
  • 144349 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
As the phone is used already on the UK network the IMEI will be registered so the unlock should be successful.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 6

jonsie
  • 93235 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
As the phone is used already on the UK network the IMEI will be registered so the unlock should be successful.

Quite right which is why I suggested the unlock form.

Message 6 of 6