cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moto G5 Camera - rubbish camera or just the settings need tweaking?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Both myself and Mrs B bought a G5 recently and find that the pictures are, well, poor to say the least. Given it is supposed to be 13mp we haven't taken one photo yet (using the Auto settings) that is half-way decent, and certainly worse than the those taken on the phones we upgraded from. It seems that sharpness is the main problem - indoor photos in particular are always soft and out of focus, even with  bright lights overhead. And when you zoom in on a picture, be it indoor or outdoor, definition is rapidly lost. Finally, if a picture a taken using zoom, then all we end up with is a blocky, ill defined subject. So my question is this - is the camera on this phone just plain and simple pants, or is there some magic setting I need to know about. Compared to the pictures we were getting on Mrs B's old Moto 3rd Gen, the G5 is those take by a cheap children's camera. All thoughts/advice appreciated. Thanks

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the tips viridis. Can I just ask how I go about shortening the shutter though? Thanks

Message 11 of 16

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
If there is the option, it will be in the settings of camera. Normally called SS but I have no idea on Moto.
It may be a case that higher iso may automatically shorten the shutter.
Message 12 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144191 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions
The manual might help ?
https://motorola-mobility-en-in.custhelp.com/app/home/device/motorola/moto-g5-plus/topic/camera/usin...
I see "Shutter type" but no idea if that means speed or some other settings?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Doesn't appear to be a SS option that I can find. Also, the "shutter type" the manual refers to unfortunately means I can choose to take a picture by pressing the shutter button or by touching anywhere on the screen. Again though, many thanks for the help and suggestions. Much appreciated
Message 14 of 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Sorry we couldn't really help. It would seem that you are doing nothing wrong and that for point and shoot I usage its a matter of practice. I have unsteady hands so the antishake feature is indispensable to me on the Samsung. 

Message 15 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

If you hit the three dots in camera mode and select the top option ‘professional mode’ ... click on ISO & select the shutter speed you’re after!

sorry for the late post.. busy day on the MTB! 

Message 16 of 16