cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S8+ Wifi Calling

Anonymous
Not applicable

Now that o2 is going to be ending it's TuGo service I need to activate wifi calling on my device.

I have requested the 4G and wifi calling through o2 which should be activated in 24 hours however there is no option for me to activate Wifi calling on my S8+.

I have checked the firmware and it is the latest, however not an o2 firmware even though I purchased directly from an o2 store.

I need wifi calling as I get no signal at work, but it looks like I wont be able to make or recieve calls/texts if TuGo is going to end.

Can anyone provide any help on this?

Message 1 of 46
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You need O2 firmware for it to work.
We are no longer allowed to tell you how to flash this to your device so you need to go back to O2 and demand they do it for you free of charge.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 46
45 REPLIES 45

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You need O2 firmware for it to work.
We are no longer allowed to tell you how to flash this to your device so you need to go back to O2 and demand they do it for you free of charge.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 46

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
I think that the settings only become active once it has been turned on for your contract.
The other place to check (as per these - https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-international/wifi-and-4g-calling - instructions) is the CSC.
Dial *#1234# and check it includes "TEF".

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 46

Anonymous
Not applicable

I followed this and confirmed that it did not include TEF so I do not have the o2 firmware on my device which I purchased directly from o2.
If it isn't available in a day or two I may have to consider switching to another provider after quite a few years with o2.

Message 4 of 46

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The o2 firmware won’t magically appear on your phone.
O2 will have to have it to flash the correct firmware for you.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 46

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
^^ That.
Take the phone (with receipt) back to the shop you got it from.
Tell them that they need to provide a device with the correct firmware on it so you can use the service they are providing.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 46

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions

When you say bought from O2 was it a physical O2 store and not via a 3rd party for example Carphone Warehouse, mobiles.co.uk, etc

Message 7 of 46

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It does say "even though I purchased directly from an o2 store."
We do know that some of o2's phones don't have o2 firmware on and some are unlocked, but surely if you are going to restrict services to "phones bought from o2" you should at least make sure they are capable of receiving said services?

Currently using:
Message 8 of 46

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm pretty sure that it was a physical o2 due to the fact that there was a huge o2 sign and everything was branded o2, even down to the employees. So yeah pretty confident in that haha.

Now that I am home I checked the settings again to enable WiFi calling and it has now appeared as as the second option on screen (Settings >Connections >WiFi calling). Will check again to see if the wifi at work isn't causing an issue or it is possible that this has been activated after I requested it from O2.
Message 9 of 46

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You must be on o2 firmware then if it's working now?

Currently using:
Message 10 of 46