cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moto G not receiving signal

Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought a Moto G a while ago from Gumtree, the phone worked fine for about 2 months but recently it won't recieve any signal. I'm worried it may be barred.

Is there anyway someone from O2 can tell me if this is the case? If it's stolen can I somehow get it back to the original owner? Or is the phone just faulty!

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144405 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus contact CS and they will tell you if phone is barred.
It's not uncommon unfortunately with phones bought on gumtree and ebay etc.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
check imei here to see if its stolen

http://www.imei.info/

maybe check network status here

www.status.o2.co.uk

hope you had a warranty if this turns up nothing
Message 2 of 10

MI5
  • 144405 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus contact CS and they will tell you if phone is barred.
It's not uncommon unfortunately with phones bought on gumtree and ebay etc.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Try turning it off and on to reset the connection and try your sim in another phone as a process of elimination.

Another way to find out is http://www.checkmend.com/uk/

If it's imei barred then it's the property of the network that's placed it.

You could speak to the network and police to hand it in.

Unfortunately the money you paid does not mean your the owner if it's reported lost or stolen.

I hope this barring is not the case.

Edit : raise a dispute to gumtree.

Or did you meet and pay by cash ?
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I just talked to CS and they said it was barred but can't say why  😞

They also said there is nothing that can be done about it - they can't unblock i and they can't get it back to the original owner.

I've tried Gumtree but the person doesn't want to be contacted, surpise surprise! And yes, I just paid in cash and I didn't get the guys name or number.

I guess there isn't anything that can be done as I have no way of knowing who the original owner is, if it was the guy who sold it to me on Gumtree then he commited some type of fraud and I don't want the phone given back to him. If it was someone elses phone then givign it back to the gumtree guy, even if I could get a hold of him, would be pointless!

Guess I'll just keep the phone, there's not much else that can be done. even the mobile phone recycling people wont tak eit if it's blocked.

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 144405 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
A tough lesson but don't fall for it again in the future.
Always buy from reputable places and get receipts etc - It happens all to often unfortunately and unless legislation changes it will continue to do so 😞

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh dear 😔

You can hand it into the police.

A hard learning curve.

I submit many buy without issue but also many are scammed. I personally don't buy from auction / buying sites for this reason.
Message 7 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122948 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

A bit late to this thread... but GUMTREE?? This selling company or whatever it is...needs a lot more controls set in place. The amount of horror stories I have personally heard about them...well it beggars belief that they are still able to function...stolen dogs...stolen cars...and stolen phones...Smiley Mad

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 10

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

A bit late to this thread... but GUMTREE?? This selling company or whatever it is...needs a lot more controls set in place. The amount of horror stories I have personally heard about them...well it beggars belief that they are still able to function...stolen dogs...stolen cars...and stolen phones...Smiley Mad

As in "up a gumtree"........or a twist on a well known phrase.......if it looks like a bargain, it probably isn't

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Lesson for us all here.

Thanks for sharing. 🙂
Message 10 of 10