cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moto G 4G Europe roaming only get GSM data

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a Sim only 4G plan with International Saver, and a Motorola Moto G 4G. High speed data works fine for me in the UK.

I'm now roaming for the first time and in Stockholm. I turned on data roaming but can only get GSM service, which is painfully slow. I tried connecting manually to Swedish networks but this fails and I can only auto connect to Telia or Telia S.

Any ideas much appreciated.
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147045 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28283 Solutions
Telia S has 4g (I don't know about other networks over there) but it may not be available to roaming partners.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 11 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 124283 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Telia S has 4g (I don't know about other networks over there) but it may not be available to roaming partners.

Telia S seems to be the main network @MI5  ...and what you have posted seemed to make sense (from what I read when I googled it and looked on other forums.)

It would appear that if their main network isn't available to roaming partners, then the other smaller Swedish networks would be problematic also?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 17

MI5
  • 147045 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28283 Solutions

The last time I was in Sweden I connected to Telia S on 3g fine, but I was roaming on Orange at that time.
I haven't been there on O2 but maybe @Anonymous  can advise on O2's roaming partners out there?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 13 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 124283 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

The last time I was in Sweden I connected to Telia S on 3g fine, but I was roaming on Orange at that time.
I haven't been there on O2 but maybe @Anonymous  can advise on O2's roaming partners out there?

it was the Vodaphone forum I checked last night. That was the other UK provider that was having problems in Sweden

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not at work so I cant see the agreements, but popped over to business and o2 has agreements with Telia Sonera and Telenor . And it's showing the agreement is just for 3G, no 4G mentioned...

Now , it can be the area you are in but it can also be the network. Based on having spent many years in the industry i would say that networks don't exactly prioritize roamers on their networks, and with you being in a big city it wouldn't surprise me if data was in very high demand and you are getting the left overs...

The only thing I can advise you to try is a manual forced registration, meaning you go for a manual search of network but choose a network that O2 doesn't have an agreement with, it will fail and it will wipe you off the network then go back to the list and manually select one of the 2 networks I've mentioned.It may not register straight away, so you may need a few attempts.After that phone off and on.And fingers crossed... failing that only a local sim can get you a better connection...

Message 15 of 17

jonsie
  • 93318 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

It's an issue with O2 as a roaming network. My son had the exact problem 8 months ago in both Sweden and Finland. The phone was useless unless on Wifi. 

Message 16 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 124283 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

It's an issue with O2 as a roaming network. My son had the exact problem 8 months ago in both Sweden and Finland. The phone was useless unless on Wifi. 

Just as poor with Vodaphone from what I have read @jonsie  slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 17