Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lollipop on Samsung Alpha, S5 Mini, S4, Note 3 & Note 4

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

As I've been asked in different threads around the status of Lollipop for these devices I tought it'd be best to keep everything in the one spot for all members to find easily and to get the latest status on these.

Note 3 & 4
We're currently in posession of the latest Lollipop update for the Note 3 & Note 4 and are extensively testing these to ensure our customers have the best possible experience with it.

S5
We're in receipt of a small maintenance update for the S5 that returns the mute button that many have been asking for. This has now been fully tested and approved by us and returned to Samsung to be scheduled for release. At present we hope for an early-to-mid April push.

S4 (info below added 3rd April)
We've now approved Lollipop for the S4 i9505 model. We are also in receipt of the update for the S4 i9515 model which we'll be looking to begin testing next week, so we're hoping both these S4 updates will come out around the same sort of time, over the next few weeks...

S5 Mini & Alpha
At present we are not aware of Samsungs current plans to bring Lollipop to these devices. That's of course not to say it won't happen - it will, but we've not been given any ETA's for UK versions. We'll be sure to keep everyone updated as and when that info changes - i'll be updating this thread and adding new replies as and when, so please subscribe to this thread if you want updates on this.

18th March Update

Hi all. Our apologies for the lack of updates but we wanted to update you on the current state of play.

What’s with the ‘delay’?
We want to emphasise that both we and Samsung strive for all updates to have the best possible user experience. If you remember back to the recent S5 Lollipop update, unfortunately a small number of customers had a negative experience and that’s not something either of us want for our customers. That being said, our tests for these new updates are extensive and thorough – if Samsung aren’t happy with results, they may delay the update and look to send us a new one. If we’re not happy with it, we will update Samsung on our results and may look for a fix.

O2 'Extras'
This isn’t just about O2 splash screens or O2 apps – implementing those changes takes very little time or effort and certainly doesn’t delay updates. The majority of time these updates are with us are on user experience testing and to monitor for any issues the software may have with our network – eg, switching 4G on/off, network interface issues etc.

What now?
We currently have the latest Lollipop updates from Samsung for the Note 3 and Note 4. We’re also testing a maintenance release for the S5 that will return the mute button many of you have been asking for (the mute button will also be there for the Note 3 & 4). We would love to say these updates will be available in ‘x’ days/weeks but the reality is, we can never be certain. Unforeseen issues can happen and that may impact a release date – whether it’s Samsung who spot an issue or us. All we can promise is that we’re doing all we can to ensure you have a positive experience with the update.

27th March Update
Good news, today we've officially approved the S5 maintenance release and have sent the approved update to Samsung. Providing they don't encounter any unforseen issues with this update, we estimate and hope this should start pushing out to customers within the next week or two - so early/mid April.

If we become aware of any issues or delays with this M/R, i'll keep you updated

30th March Update
Indeed - some fresh news this morning to share with our Note 3 and Note 4 users - the latest Lollipop update has now been approved on our end and returned to Samsung to schedule for release. Providing no unforeseen issues are encountered, we're hoping you should see this update start pushing out over the next week or two, though it could be a bit sooner... If we get a date or closer estimate (or any delays), we'll keep you posted.

S5 users - the maintenance release is currently scheduled to push out tomorrow but I must stress that release dates for software are not like release dates for movies... They can shift, change, skew, delay (more often at least anyway)... Things are looking good though so eyes peeled!

3rd April Update

We've now approved Lollipop for the S4 i9505 model. We are also in receipt of the update for the S4 i9515 model which we'll be looking to begin testing next week, so we're hoping both these S4 updates will come out around the same sort of time, over the next few weeks... April's looking like a hot month for Samsung updates!

7th April Update
Some good news - and hopefully the news the majority of you have been looking forward to... The Lollipop is now out for Note 3 & S4 (i9505) users. If you're not seeing the update available, try checking for updates manually and failing that, try updating via USB cable / KIES.

Note 4? We're hoping for this to go live towards the end of this week.

8th May Update
Hey folks, new information straight from my inbox... Hopefully the news some of you were after.

S4 i9195 - The new update should be going live from today, if not already. Remember if you don't see this available right away as an OTA update, to consider trying via KIES or to wait a few days for it to saturate.

A3, A5 & Alpha - It's coming... We expect to receive this soon and will be testing this over the next couple of weeks with the hope if the update being available towards the end of the month providing there are no complications or delays... I'll keep you updated.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 625
624 REPLIES 624

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Have you ever thought that there might be specifics in the o2 software and that Samsung might still be working in it?"

O2 will sort that out, not Samsung. Vodafone have managed it because they HAVE the files and adjusted them to their network and its out there now, O2 havent even RECEIVED or asked for them yet! Thats whats been said previously by an O2 rep, not by me not thinking.

"All this criticism without knowledge."

The rep said that, not me, or are you saying the O2 rep has no knowledge?

"Lollipop will be here when it is here. Put it into perspective. You have a phone. It let's you make calls. Send texts. Browse data. No one has died. It is not the end of the world. "

By that comment, we had mobile phones 20+ years ago, so why bother upgrading at all, they make calls dont they? Why bother with Note 4 when we have a phone thats fine with a note 1?

Youre also missing the point. This isnt about losing "perspective", this about a company expecting to keep customers thats lagging behind competitors. OTHER UK providers have rolled out updates which have extra benefits to customers but O2 reps on this forum are saying they havent even been given the files but dont seem too bothered about it. Sounds like you must work for O2 as you seem to have the same attitude.

Message 21 of 625

mieinhull1969
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 243 Posts
  • 27 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

My brother just had a Lollipop update on his Vodafone Note 3, way behind again O2, maybe you should search online for phones that have it. Saying that my phone is rooted and I've had Lollipop since the leak, then the Polish Official, we can't wait around for ever O2.

Samsung are laughable, I'd rather give £900+ to charity and I have, Dove House Hospice, Hull.
Message 22 of 625

Anonymous
Not applicable

And now T-Mobile (state side ?) is announcing Note 3 ready lollipop...

https://support.t-mobile.com/community/phones-tablets-devices/software-updates#tmoSUPDocTitle

Yet no update still from O2?

O2 even been chasing yet? Is it even in testing? OP said would keep updated... yet no updates...

Message 23 of 625

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

cam27 wrote:

Yet no update still from O2?

O2 even been chasing yet? Is it even in testing? OP said would keep updated... yet no updates...

As mentioned, i'll update everyone when I have more info to share. Yes, we are chasing this with Samsung and seeking further information, and we're currently awaiting that information.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 24 of 625

Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel I need to point this out, as somebody that has had Lollipop 5.0.1 on my o2 Note 4 for a week.

It's not that different at all, touchwiz although less invasive these days still dominates the look, you can barely tell Lollipop is on at all.

Importantly you lose the ability to make your phone go to loud, vibrate or silent by holding the power button down for a second.

Battery life is down, the handset can get hot, games don't perform as well if you've been using the device for a while.  To improve things you can enter recovery mode to delete cache, but it doesn't fix things.  Ideally you need to do a master reset, as it's a significant enough update that upgrading and keeping all your files, messages etc on it can carry across legacy issues.  A master reset would be ideal and I suspect many people will have to end up doing that (if they are aware that it's even an option and I suspect most won't).

Be careful what you wish for...

Still, it's nice having a warm pocket in this cold climate!

Steve

Message 25 of 625

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

My thoughts entirely and having 5.0.2 on the Nexus 7, I much preferred KK. I won't be updating the Note 4 any time soon. Why ruin a superb piece of engineering and upgrade to a much inferior operating system (in my opinion). The 4.3 upgrade on the S3 was a harsh lesson learned and the phone isn't a patch on what it once was.

Message 26 of 625

MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Don't knock lollipop.
In vanilla form it's not too bad and the smart security features are really great.
It's also new so has a way to go to be fully polished yet slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 27 of 625

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 28 of 625

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Don't knock lollipop.
In vanilla form it's not too bad and the smart security features are really great.
It's also new so has a way to go to be fully polished yet slight_smile

And on what device do you have lollipop?

Message 29 of 625

MI5
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
My S3
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 30 of 625