Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG V30 updates

DSB
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Is O2 still providing updates for the LG v30? I think ive had 2 updates since i purchased the phone in december 2018, 1 being the Oreo update.

Other carriers from other regions seem to push out more updates for the device, some even pushing out an update in preparation for Android Pie.

Just curious as to where the device stands on updates.

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
That is the same one I have, so it is (or was) the most current.
According to the LG chat agent there should be a new one coming, but if they are as reliable as the o2 chat agents (hint: not at all) then it might just be fluff to get me off the chat...
If you buy a phone from CPW then it should be unlocked to any network.
In terms of updates, it means that it will come with "unbranded" software direct from the manufacturer. In theory this should be quicker as it will not have to go through o2 or another network but is likely to come out the same time as everything else.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Chris_K is the best person to ask.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 14

gmarkj
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
o2 didn't sell the v30, so I am guessing you got it from Carphone Warehouse like I did @DSB?
@Chris_K confirmed this in the link below...
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android/May-firmware-update/m-p/1233646#M72520
I did chat to an LG advisor last week, and was told that they have released 9.0 to their update servers.
Hopefully they are more reliable than the o2 chat team...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 3 of 14

DSB
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi thanks for the reply. Yes i did buy mine from carphone warehouse, on an O2 contract.

Iwasnt sure if O2 control the updates for this device being on its network, or if LG push out the updates directly to each region. The latest update i have on mine is v21w-EUR-XX , which has android security patch level at 1 January 2019. Is the the most current update?

My phone is still locked to O2, but If the phone is unlocked from O2, does that have any bearing on the update process?

Message 4 of 14

gmarkj
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
That is the same one I have, so it is (or was) the most current.
According to the LG chat agent there should be a new one coming, but if they are as reliable as the o2 chat agents (hint: not at all) then it might just be fluff to get me off the chat...
If you buy a phone from CPW then it should be unlocked to any network.
In terms of updates, it means that it will come with "unbranded" software direct from the manufacturer. In theory this should be quicker as it will not have to go through o2 or another network but is likely to come out the same time as everything else.

Message 5 of 14

DSB
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

thanks again for the info. Its actually didnt occur to me that the phone should naturally be unlocked being from Carphone warehouse (thanks for pointing that out).

slight_smile

Message 6 of 14

gmarkj
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Well there was another twist in the tale over the weekend...
Being rather wary of taking an answer from live chat at face value, I sent a message to the Twitter accounts of LG UK and LG customer care asking about a Pie update.
They asked me to DM them details of device etc, and they then said that currently there is no Pie update for the v30 that they know of.
So. Am rather disappointed (but not really surprised) that the two stories do not line up...

Message 7 of 14

DSB
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Interesting. Theres been a post on reddit that the update was delayed til sometime in july due to a few issues. And an earlier one stating the update status for v30
Unless it just all for South Korea?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/LG-rolls-back-on-V30-Android-Pie-commitment.426519.0.html

https://i.redd.it/aholes1i4v631.png

The plot thickens ..
Message 8 of 14

gmarkj
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Hmmm.
So it seems as though they might have been pushing it out but then had to stop.
Either way, bit poor to say "here is the update, it is coming" only to then have to go back on themselves...

Message 9 of 14

DSB
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions