cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KitKat upgrade causing major problems

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have a Moto G and have seen many issues with the KitKat upgrades and have some with my phone.

The main one is that the phone will not receive calls perhaps 20% of the time; the calls go to voicemail and then O2 sends me a missed call message. I try to call back and see the Dialling message and then a few seconds later I see 'Call ended'. While this is happening the phone is showing a full four bar signal.

It appears this problem is occuring with several makes and models of Android phones ( Google kitKat upgrade problems).

I am now about to choose another phone as it seems mine can't be fixed ( two attempts by repair folks) but it seems that nearly all smartphones have issues of various types especially after recent upgrades. Apple too are not immune according to Mr Google.

Any one suggest the most reliable mid-range smartphone? I was looking at the Windows phones but they won't work the particular app I use. The Moto G works fine with it but it can't be relied on for the main function.....telephone calls.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi MI5,

Thanks for your response. The problems with the phone going to voicemail and not being able to call from time to time have all happened with a full four bar network signal. The KitKat upgrade issue is mentioned on Samsung and Nexus as well as the Motorola forum. Also I have two other phones in the house which both work fine when all three are showing the same full signal.

The phone has been back to Motorola repair centre twice and is still the same. I have looked at the S3 and may go to the O2 store to have a look. As mentioned however, Samsung too have had issues with updated software. It's a minefield. 🙂

Thanks again

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149370 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
I would be making sure that you're not trying to blame the phone for a network issue to be honest.
Your symptoms are classics of a congested network.
Still one of the best (now mid range) phones you can buy is the Samsung S3 but there are so many to choose from it will be an impossible list to write them all down.
Finally, I would suggest you unlock your phone (if not already done) and try a different network PAYG sim in it for a few days and see if it really is the phone or network that is playing up.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 7

MI5
  • 149370 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
Link to phone unlocking guide here if needed http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-ca...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi MI5,

Thanks for your response. The problems with the phone going to voicemail and not being able to call from time to time have all happened with a full four bar network signal. The KitKat upgrade issue is mentioned on Samsung and Nexus as well as the Motorola forum. Also I have two other phones in the house which both work fine when all three are showing the same full signal.

The phone has been back to Motorola repair centre twice and is still the same. I have looked at the S3 and may go to the O2 store to have a look. As mentioned however, Samsung too have had issues with updated software. It's a minefield. 🙂

Thanks again

Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 149370 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
No worries - Let us know how it goes for you.
If it's any help I'm running 4.4.4 on my Z1 and S3 (a custom ROM, not Samsung one) and don't have the issues you are experiencing.
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI Digital Don,

More info on the number of folks with similar problems here. Page 61 is the latest!

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/48fb0b8150?page=61

Regards

T.

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 149370 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
Thanks - I'll have a read through it wink
Message 7 of 7