cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep Losing Signal!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

Every now and then and usually at about 1-4pm I tend to lose signal and my phone shows that I can only make emergency calls only and the O2-UK logo has disappeared when I happen to check my screen.

I've got the Samsung S3 phone and I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem? Or is it my phone that is the problem? If so does anyone know why I keep losing signal. It can't be the location because I work in central London and signal has never been a problem, my previous phone was a Blackberry and this never happened before, it only started happening when O2's signal was lost on a national scale, I believe this happened around July 2012 and it also happened another time as well.

I look forward to any replies slight_smile

Many thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Forget the APN's !!!

These are for data and nothing to do with phone calls or texts wink

If no issues are reported and removing / replacing sim doesn't help try getting your sim replaced, If still no good it's a phone issue.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same problem, just been in touch with O2 but the info they gave me doesn't seem to have cured the problem. I am in the north of Scotland so did wonder if it was down to signal but maybe it's something else! The info from O2 was an update to APN settings but they were already in the phone and I can't select that option (O2 Pay Monthly MMS). They only option I can select is O2 mobile web. Are your settings the same? This is in settings, more settings, mobile networks, access point names. Green spot next to O2 Mobile Web selected cannot change to the O2 Pay Monthly MMS which is what I was told to do!! Missing calls and texts because of this problem!

Message 2 of 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The APN's have nothing to do with your problem, so ignore that poor bit of advice. Suggest you remove SIM card then replace and reboot phone first. Also check if there are any issues in your area reported on the service status page http://status.o2.co.uk/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi LadyG23

So I just did what you said regarding the settings and I'm the same as you, I get the green spot next to O2 Mobile Web and when I click on it the APN is already there, so that advise they gave you was probably pants! This is frustrating cos like you said we're missing important calls and texts!

I have the other option O2 MMS but when I click on that nothing happens :S

Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry I meant 'advice' and not 'advise' slight_smile

Message 5 of 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Forget the APN's !!!

These are for data and nothing to do with phone calls or texts wink

If no issues are reported and removing / replacing sim doesn't help try getting your sim replaced, If still no good it's a phone issue.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the advice, I had to remove my sim the other day anyway to give O2 the number and when I put it all back together I still had emergency calls only. Took about 4 attempts at turning the phone on and off again but eventually found the network and so far so good it hasn't happened since. slight_smile So fingers crossed.......
Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
So the problem has returned!!

I was hopeful it had sorted itself out. Guess I'm off to see about a new sim card then.
😞
Message 8 of 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes, sounds like a new sim is needed.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi MI5,

Thank you for the advice, so I did what you advised by taking the sim card out, I did that yesterday and it seemed to be fine, and today as I was texting my friend and hit the send button, a message came up saying 'we are currently unable to send the message, message will be sent when there is signal' something along those lines, and I was like not again! So i checked on my notification screen and all I see was 'Emergency calls only', so I switched my phone off and on again, no signal, switched phone off again, took sim card out and switched back on, and eventually after some time I got signal back, so I got fed up and called O2 and they have ordered a new sim card for me. I hope this one works, cos it's getting very frustrating now, and this is the main reason why I want to leave!

The O2 adviser was very helpful though and I must say it is great to have UK call centres, the advantage of being with O2 I guess.

Message 10 of 14