Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Android

Highlighted
Anonymous

Update 2 (BT)

BT is painting a different picture from O2. They say that O2 just haven't added the phone to the list of models that can connect. According to them, O2 have asked for the following 8 O2 handsets to have Openzone access:

HTC HD2
Sony Ericsson X10 (Android)
4 Models of Blackberry
Palm Pre
iPhone

I can see no reason why the Desire shouldn't be added to the list, especially as they've recently added the X10.

When confronted, the guys at O2 didn't know anything about the other phones having access to Openzone. They have escalated the issue to the department that deals with Openzone and are supposed to be getting back to me.

It wouldn't surprise me if they are already in the process of adding the Desire to the list of Openzone compatible O2 phones, but the relevant departments within O2 aren't communicating.
Highlighted
Anonymous

HTC Desire access to the Cloud and BT Openzone

Thanks for the update Marc.Sounds like a complete shambles.I would have thought its a simple matter to add a phone to the BT Openzone system if you want too that is!!
Highlighted
Anonymous

Just a quick mention from me. I moved from a monthly O2 iPhone simplicity contract last week to a 12 month standard simplicity for unlimited data.

The data part I got in the email only mentions the cloud and not Openzone. I've not been anywhere near a cloud place yet so can't check whether I'm ok using it Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Anonymous

Another update

I finally spoke to someone at O2 who knew about Wi-Fi! Apparently BT were right: the reason we can't connect to Openzone is that O2 haven't accredited the handset with BT yet or provided BT with the relevant mac addresses. O2 probably will accredited the HTC Desite soon, and promised to call me this week to let me know the date.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Do we have any news yet or update
Highlighted
Anonymous

Any news on Openzone yet for the Desire? Smiley Sad
(via my iPhone simplicity sim)

Edit: I've seen they have now changed their simplicity plans the smartphone now has unlimited texts and "wifi"

quote:
Unlimited Wi-Fi is available at any of the 7,500 Wi-Fi hotspots from our partners The Cloud and BT Openzone. Excessive usage policy applies.

So really, we should be able to get to openzone now from our desires?
Highlighted
Anonymous

Still no real progress

Hi Studmuffin, phoned them on Monday and threatened to leave, as no Openzone is a deal-breaker. They said they'd raise the issue with their management (or something) to get Openzone added then get back to me. So far no answer.

It shouldn't be this difficult - I bet they don't treat their iPhone customers like this!
Highlighted
Anonymous

Hi Zarch,

We should be getting Openzone; they will readily confirm that at their smart phone call centre. I just think the Desire is quite low down on their priority list - at their online shop it is on about page 4 of their smart phones section. All the phones on the first page have Openzone accreditation.

If anyone else wants to pester them, the number from an O2 mobile is 2302 option 2-5-2.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Well, after 2 months of trying, I've now been told that BT Openzone won't work with the HTC Desire. Graham of the smartphone helpdesk told me that he didn't know why I hadn't been told previously. Totting up all the phone calls I've made, I've been on the phone to O2 for over 5 hours in the two months! He offered me two months payments as compensation. I said it didn't come anywhere close to compensate me for the frustration and time spent on this issue. I'm making an official complaint as even now, the Simplicity for Smartphone is advertising unlimited BT Openzone and Cloud wifi. I'm writing to the CEO. Graham gave me this as the address to write to:

Ronan Dunne, CEO, Complain Review Service, PO Box 116 LEEDS, LS11 5DS

I hope others do to.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Ermm not wishing to set the cat amongst your pigeons so to speak as I have only just read this thread...

I have an HTC Desire and I am pretty sure mine works on BT Openzone. I am nowhere near an OpenZone connection at the moment so I can't test it, but I have checked my phone and it lists an OpenZone connection as remembered.

I am fairly sure one of the first things I did when I got it was check that OpenZone and Cloud worked.

I am not on Simplicity and my handset was an upgrade through O2 not bought elsewhere. Before everyone gets on my case about being wrong, I will check next time I have the opportunity and update here.