Did you mean: 

Good Morning: from Berlin

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

DSC_1254.jpg

That's right, it's IFA time, and some Sony fanboy managed to get a special invitation off Sony to their press conference today at IFA 2019

149153-phones-news-sony-ifa-2019-press-conference-when-is-it-and-how-to-watch-it-live-image1-lgrxumipoc.jpg

I'll be there at mid-day today, and will be giving live blog type ramblings from the event.

Later on, should there be any new mobile, I'll be giving an in depth first impressions type review as well as a hands on initial preview of the next Sony Xperia.

Tomorrow I'll be at IFA on opening day, and in the evening will give a little run down of all the tech on display.

Peace out, see you at the show!

Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

Tried loads of new tech today, and might go again tomorrow to see the new Huawei stuff they announced.

Also got a few halls we missed as the place is so damn big.

Lots of pics, lots of resizing of these pics..

Message 41 of 51

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
Brilliant vir
Message 42 of 51

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@viridis wrote:

DSC_1425.jpg

They were VERY protective of these units.

Queues just to look at it, then every 50 users or so, they swap it for a fresh one.. 

Staff wearing white cloth gloves treating them like the hope diamond.

Well I remember saying, No way, not in my lifetime will I want a Foldable phone! It's slightly amusing how minds can be changed when you see it up close and personal (as it were) What a great device! heart_eyes

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 43 of 51

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Highly protective in case these foldable phones still break with constant use? Once on general release we will probably see the press sensationalise if one breaks.... 

Message 44 of 51

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Would be interested to see how these work in person.
Is the fold a manual thing or more mechanical (like some of the old nokias that you press a button and the cover springs open).
Also how would a cover work? And how about a screen protector?!?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 45 of 51

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

What was the weight link on the fold @viridis ? I'd pictured these sorts of devices being rather heavy. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 46 of 51

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
No different really to a note 10+ in weight...
It's not remarkably bulky tbh, just seems that way.
It's, it's not bad if honest, I was quite impressed, but many, like me, were really closing it with care like it shouldn't do that. Samsung guy just said, "Don't be careful, just close it" then we proper started using it as intended.
Very nice device, very very nice
Message 47 of 51

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Cool! It's great they've managed to keep it lightweight and not to bulky. It could have just been like 2 regular phones stuck together. I'm super interested to see how foldable devices evolve over the next few years. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 48 of 51

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Well, I also had a play on the LG G8X thinQ with its secondary display accessory.
Whilst not as fluid or as integrated as the fold, it is an option for those needing a dual screen setup (read: I couldn't think of a use in the age of multi window on screens, but I'm sure it might be useful)
I was slightly concerned though, as each display was a slightly different colour warmth. For me that was a big no no.
The fold however, was nice, and the extra protection on the hinge ends, as well as that awful protector that people thought they should remove (like S10, note 10) is now hidden under the bezels
Message 49 of 51

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Yeah not sure about secondary displays like that.
With LED/OLED screens you can have the display set to always on anyway (screen saver type things) so there is no need.
There was a phone that used a Kindle type screen as the second screen - just found it, it was the YotaPhone:(https://www.gsmarena.com/yota_yotaphone-6961.php)

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 50 of 51