Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Galaxy S2 ICS

Thanks beastobadness!
Highlighted
Anonymous

Anybody had any success with de-branding their O2 S2 and getting ICS on it? Any online guides/instructions you found particularly useful? Having previously used a non-branded Android handset, I'm not liking the idea of waiting for ICS while o2 make it more ugly and cumbersome.
As many have pointed out elsewhere, making customers wait for carrier bloatware does not make for happy customers (in case anyone from O2 is reading!).
Cheers,
Matt

I till this point have never felt the need to debrand, really O2 don't add a lot of bloatware, they are more interested whether it runs well and doesn't cause customer issues with their phones. And with this being a major update, I bet O2 are holding back to see if any of the other carriers have problems first with bugs. But come on, a month to do what they need to do to ICS and that is not saying they haven't had it for longer already!
I will be debranding once the stable official European version of ICS is available. I will let you know how it goes after the 19th March!!
On a side note, my SGS2 was more offended by the rubbish Samsung put on it. I mean Titanium Backup should come as standard on these phones to freeze the hell out of the bloatware they put on it!
Highlighted
Anonymous

That's true actually - the Samsung Hub is annoyingly uninstallable and keeps bugging me to update it.
Good luck with the de-branding - let us know!
Highlighted
Level 3: Thinker

[ Edited ]
Just read an article which is from techradar about carrier release for ICS to the SGS2, it is quite laughable and so typical of O2.
http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and ... it-1070589
Please note the O2 section!
"O2 has now confirmed it is working on the Galaxy S2 Ice Cream Sandwich update, but it won't be rolling it out to customers until mid-April. Disappointing O2, disappointing"
Sorry I apologize in advance for ranting and am a patient person, but this is *******!
*** do they need to do with an update that takes over a month to sort!?
As of the 19th march when the official generic ICS update hits europe, I go generic!!
You can stick your branding up your **** O2!!

O2
O2 has now confirmed it is working on the Galaxy S2 Ice Cream Sandwich update, but it won't be rolling it out to customers until mid-April. Disappointing O2, disappointing.
Update: An O2 spokesperson has informed TechRadar that the Samsung Galaxy S2 Ice Cream Sandwich update "will be before the end of March, not mid-April". That's more like it!
Highlighted
Anonymous

[ Edited ]
Just read an article which is from techradar about carrier release for ICS to the SGS2, it is quite laughable and so typical of O2.
http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and ... it-1070589
Please note the O2 section!
"O2 has now confirmed it is working on the Galaxy S2 Ice Cream Sandwich update, but it won't be rolling it out to customers until mid-April. Disappointing O2, disappointing"
Sorry I apologize in advance for ranting and am a patient person, but this is *******!
*** do they need to do with an update that takes over a month to sort!?
As of the 19th march when the official generic ICS update hits europe, I go generic!!
You can stick your branding up your **** O2!!

O2
O2 has now confirmed it is working on the Galaxy S2 Ice Cream Sandwich update, but it won't be rolling it out to customers until mid-April. Disappointing O2, disappointing.
Update: An O2 spokesperson has informed TechRadar that the Samsung Galaxy S2 Ice Cream Sandwich update "will be before the end of March, not mid-April". That's more like it!

Ah that IS more like it! Maybe someone is watching. I take my choice words back. Within two weeks, think I'll leave the debranding for another day, I can wait!!
Highlighted
Anonymous

Great stuff!
Highlighted
Anonymous

You know what I'm really annoyed at not the fact, that we're a bit for the O2 update; it's the fact that Google seems to given up on Nexus S. I know technology moves fast but to say one thing then change their minds.
They've left me with no choice other than rooting/manual installation yet again. Although this seems to be a Samsung issue. Funnyly enough Samsung Galaxy S 3 is coming out.
Be honest, most people will update their Nexus S until such times they change handset or they get a contract upgrade. I can't see many people shelling out for a brand new S3.
My next phone may be an Apple, something I never thought I would say. Sure they are over-rated POS however at least they get updates at the same time. No misleading OEM time delays and often counterproductive rumour mongering by various Technology bloggers.
The biggest disappointment for me has been silence from Google and their partners. Have we learned nothing from the experiences of Microsoft Windows and their late OS offerings?
I realise developing for multiple handsets will be difficult however the only access to google drivers I can find are Device specific API's not compiled drivers or firmwares.
OK I do have access to some official firmware versions although this is not very user friendly or without risk. Although I have done some rudimentary programming and more than a few firmware upgrades to various electronic devices, each time you do something like this - you run the risk of ruining something.
The end of the March, does seem like a realistic time for the O2 update to come out which I'll be happy with. Lets hope it's all good.
Highlighted
Anonymous

So, O2 are rolling out their ICS a month after the official generic firmware is rolled out for unbranded phones? You guys should consider yourselves lucky! I have the SGS1 and for Froyo and Gingerbread releases, we were waiting for 6 months.
Highlighted
Anonymous

[ Edited ]
Anybody had any success with de-branding their O2 S2 and getting ICS on it? Any online guides/instructions you found particularly useful? Having previously used a non-branded Android handset, I'm not liking the idea of waiting for ICS while o2 make it more ugly and cumbersome.
As many have pointed out elsewhere, making customers wait for carrier bloatware does not make for happy customers (in case anyone from O2 is reading!).
Cheers,
Matt

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-inte ... guide.html
once you root your phone, flashing a custom firmware via CWM is a doddle.
Highlighted
Anonymous

And bang goes your mobile insurance.
Bear that in mind. :robotwink: