cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Ace and Wifi

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a message from bt saying I could connect wifi to my phone. As I know nothing about wifi, would it be of any use to me if I am on a cruise? Normally i switch off my phone while I'm away. My logic being that whatever news I get on my phone, there's nothing I can do about it until i get back to England, so worrying for the duration of my holiday seems pointless.

I would welcome any views my more knowledgeable colleagues may have.

I'm throwing this thread open on the advice of Leonard, a most helpful source. Thanks, Leonard.

Immey

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

It won't be of any use to you at all on a cruise I'm afraid. Any wifi that you can receive will be via the ship itself which you will have to sign up and pay for (not cheap!)

You may be able to pick up free wifi in the ports of call but you would have to ask for the password, be it a bar or other retailer.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 145010 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27816 Solutions
If the cruise ship has wifi you could connect to it to get data for internet use. I'm not sure if Tugo is supported on that phone but if it is you could make calls and texts from your allowance too.

The question as to if it's wise to be contactable when on holiday is yours to answer wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

It won't be of any use to you at all on a cruise I'm afraid. Any wifi that you can receive will be via the ship itself which you will have to sign up and pay for (not cheap!)

You may be able to pick up free wifi in the ports of call but you would have to ask for the password, be it a bar or other retailer.

Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, Jonsie.

That makes a lot of sense, and as I prefer not to get into complicated things while away, I don't think I'll bother to get it connected.

I don't know if it's me, but I find quite a lot of these "inducements" have hidden costs that you are not aware of at the beginning, like the so called "free" things,that you have to sign up to for a period, and you end up buying what you don't really need just to get discounts.

I'll stick with what my old mum used to say-If you never have it, you don't miss it-

Immey

Message 4 of 5

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Very wise Immey, wi-fi is usually free but it always pays to check and if they give you a password it's generally secure in case you want to check a bank account or something else that's private.

Wi-fi hotspots that are open (unencrypted) are usually not safe to use for secure sites as you can be hacked or listened in to.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 5