cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free 4g or not 4g that is the question ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all, Just a quick post in case others find themselves in the same position.

I received the automated text from o2 stating that I was to be given "at no extra cost" an upgrade to 4g on my pay monthly account on the 27th of June, that came and went with no increased data speed so I rang o2 to ask if there was anything they had to do at their end to allow 4g on my account the person I spoke to stated to get 4g my tariff would have to be changed as it started in 2009? So to get 4g I would lose my unlimited data bolt on and it would be replaced with a 1GB cap on data and the latest changes to fall in line with the new tariff. So be warned if you do get the "free upgrade" it might end up costing you more and you may well get less for it.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 94057 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions
As with all things in life you get what you pay for. In itself the £16 tariff is not a bad offer obviously depending on your needs.
Message 11 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
No its not I get unlimited data and I have checked the t&c's and I pay more than £16 per month
Message 12 of 24

MI5
  • 149517 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions
All the SIMO tariffs you can choose from are listed here https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/simplicity/
We have no idea what you are paying unless you tell us.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 13 of 24

jonsie
  • 94057 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

I'm on a Simplicity legacy tariff and pay £16 odd a month. If you pay more now then you will get a decent 4G data allowance for the equivalent of what you pay now.

Message 14 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Fair enough, I only started this post to alert people not to jump in if they don't need 4g as it might end up costing more one way or another. I know we could pay for more data if required but and here is my point why should we if we have unlimited data be dropped down to limited data and then if we need more have to pay for it? Again I am just going on what the original text said amongst other things "at no extra cost" obviously there is.
Message 15 of 24

MI5
  • 149517 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions
I agree the text is misleading for people on old tariff's. Anyone on a more recent tariff is getting a free conversion to 4g though, so I guess the text should state that the offer is dependent of tariff? Does it say T&C's apply anywhere in the text?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 16 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes it states, o2 4G is here. And we're giving you access at no extra cost from 27 June. After this date, visit http://s.o2.co.uk/got4G/4583mw to find out how to get set up and start using4G Check the o2 app to keep track of your data. Watch. Listen. Stream. In glorious 4G. Terms apply. If you go to the link you get a bad page address, strange that! but one page I found that is live is this :- http://mobi.o2.co.uk/pl/svt/si/mo2couk/po/o2uk/pa/got4G Unless I am missing something there is no mention of extra costs or your tariff changing just an extra Bolt on being added to your account.
Message 17 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is the thread that started most of the initial conversation @Brazo71

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/4G-Text-Campaign/m-p/621674/highlight/true#M7499
Message 18 of 24

MI5
  • 149517 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28499 Solutions
The question was asked by the community when the free 4g roll out started some months ago and O2 stated back then that anyone on an old legacy tariff would not get a 4g upgrade unless they changed tariff.
ie, there is no way you can have "unlimited" 4g with O2 directly......
Message 19 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
No its not, the post is about my experience with o2 today and the wording of the text and how it could cost more to get something stated to be free.
Message 20 of 24