Did you mean: 

February OTA Update for Pixel 2 XL

ianh
Level 3: Thinker
  • 68 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi All,

Has anyone with a Pixel 2 XL received the February update yet?

There was an O2 UK specific variant of the January update but currently there is only the generic variant listed online: https://developers.google.com/android/images#taimen

Will there be an O2 variant? If not, why is the update not being delivered yet?

Regards,

Ian

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122350 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Great to hear @ianh, Enjoy wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 29

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@ianhwrote:

I finally got the update last night.  Thank you all

I assume generic and not O2 specific as I don't see anything listed for O2 in Feb?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 29

ianh
  • 68 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I assume so as there's nothing listed on the developer site.

Message 13 of 29

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey all,

Sorry for the delay but I've been checking into this one with our devices team. It's a little complicated, so i'll try and lay it out below.

• This February update for Pixel is a 'pure' open market update and it comes direct from Google without any kind of intervention on our end
  • This differs to the January update as that one had fixes specific to O2, which required our testing and approval

So going forward, Pixel updates will happen in one of two ways:

1. If there are no specific fixes or changes for O2, these will come direct from Google
  2. If there are specific fixes or changes for O2, we'd receive the modified open market software to test, send our approvals (or require more fixes) back to Google, and then they would release it

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 14 of 29

hayw77
  • 33 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
@Chris_K
Many thanks for the clarification, much appreciated.
Colin
Message 15 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122350 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks for that @Chris_K . So either way we would probably still need to tag you as none of us would be aware whether the fixes are specific to O2...? #justasking

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 29

hayw77
  • 33 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
Hi @Cleoriff
As @ianh mentioned in an earlier post, we can check https://developers.google.com/android/images#taimen
to see if there is an O2 specific build as there was in January but not this month
Regards
Colin
Message 17 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122350 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks Colin (@hayw77) You make a very relevant point. Sadly not everyone posting here will think to look at that link, although some of us will. It's a useful one to have though wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 29

ianh
  • 68 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @Chris_K, thanks for the explanation.

So in future I'll keep an eye on the Android Developer page to see if there's an O2 specific update.

Message 19 of 29

adrianbridgett
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Another month, another delayed update.  Nothing at lunchtime, it's _just_ come though.

I'd really like to at least understand where this hold up is - there's no specific O2 patch (unlike Jan), but why does it take 8 days for it to be approved?  i.e. is it possible to get an actual "we approved this" timescale?

I appreciate that a) 5th of the month (when Google release the updates) could be a weekend, b) that there _were_ some issues in Jan, so I'm not against the approval per-se, just the fact that we're all exposed for 8 days (and in my job that's especially bad)

Nice overview here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/7bfkdr/psa_pixelnexus_updates_can_still_be_subject_to/

Thanks,

Adrian

Message 20 of 29