cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ending Contract and Direct Debit

Anonymous
Not applicable

I began a 24 month contract with o2 on 18th July 2013.  I have been informed (it's been implied) that I can either 'upgrade' to a new phone o go on paying this same Direct Debit even though the contract will have ended as of 18th June 2015 (24th month) .. I wish it to be known that my Bank will be instructed to end payment of this Direct Debit as from 19th June 2015.   I may decide to 'upgrade' or I may not.   But the suggestion hat I have no choice but to ugrade or go on paying more than £25 per month indefinitely - which is what I was told bu a member of staff at the Horsham Sussex o2 Store is utterly unacceptable and, I would have thought, probably illegal.  I would be interested to hear of other people's views - or have I somehow misunderstood??

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93978 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

Give 30 days notice to end the contract or ask for your PAC if you wish to move your number to a new network. Using the PAC will automatically produce a final bill. Don't cancel the DD until this bill has been paid or you could run into all sorts of problems credit wise. 

Leaving O2 & Obtaining PAC by davethorp - Here

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

djlukew
Level 3: Thinker
  • 53 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
If you cancel the direct debit you will lose your service.

On old contracts you always pay the amount even after the 24months.

If you're on o2 refresh you pay separately for the phone and tariff. When the contract ends you stop paying for the phone but still pay for your tariff until you upgrade
Message 2 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 125911 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7551 Solutions

You need to give O2 30 days notice that you wish to cancel at the contract end. If you don't you will continue on a 30 day rolling contract. I did exactly this in January.  I then bought a new phone outright and swapped to a sim only deal with O2. So the staff member at Horsham seems to have misinformed you wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 9

jonsie
  • 93978 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

Give 30 days notice to end the contract or ask for your PAC if you wish to move your number to a new network. Using the PAC will automatically produce a final bill. Don't cancel the DD until this bill has been paid or you could run into all sorts of problems credit wise. 

Leaving O2 & Obtaining PAC by davethorp - Here

Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Leave the direct debit in place until you are sure all monies have been paid, do not cancel it until you have a received a final bill
Message 5 of 9

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1344 Posts
  • 66 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
As others have said DO NOT CANCEL your direct debit, as you are still in an agreement with O2, even though your contract for 24 months is up there is a note in the contract that unless you give the 30 days notice to cancel or upgrade then you will automatically move onto a 30 day rolling agreement. You agree'd to this at the time of joining, there is nothing illegal about it.

Ultimately you are still receiving a service from O2 (minutes, texts and a data allowance) which is why the £25 per month will run indefinitely.

If you're on a refresh tariff your bill will reduce as the handset is paid in full, however if you're on a legacy contract then the £25 per month will run on.
Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 149312 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28492 Solutions
Were you not given the option of switching to a sim only deal?
You can keep your current phone and choose any of the simo rates here https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/simplicity/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 7 of 9

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Can you imagine the problems if phone companies disconnected you automatically at the end of the minimum term, think about it.

You only have to give 30 days notice to leave, there is no drama here.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 8 of 9

jonsie
  • 93978 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

@perksie wrote:

Can you imagine the problems if phone companies disconnected you automatically at the end of the minimum term, think about it.

You only have to give 30 days notice to leave, there is no drama here.

Exactly. So easy to do, simple phone call, job done!

Message 9 of 9