cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocked Handset

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all, looking for some advice.

I recently bought a used Samsung Galaxy S6 from CEX (UK preowned electronics retailer)

CEX checked the handset prior to their purchase (stolen, outstanding finance, contract etc...), it was clear.

It worked fine for a week and then went to 'Emergency Calls Only'

I contacted O2 customer services and the handset is not listed in their system.

I have used the CheckMEND website to ascertain the handsets current status.

The report stated that the handset was 'Reported lost or stolen' and 'Blocked'.

How can I get the handset unblocked?

I suspect the previous owner has fraudulently claimed for a new handset, resulting in mine being blocked.

I have my receipt from CEX and the CheckMEND report available.

Any help appreciated.

CraigD75

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
You can't unblock it.
Take it back to CEX and they will swap it for you.
They will then go after the person who sold it to them.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
You can't unblock it.
Take it back to CEX and they will swap it for you.
They will then go after the person who sold it to them.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122813 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

CEX need to look at their systems if they appeared to have clearance that the phone was fine to sell?

I wouldn't be happy about that at all...Smiley Mad

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 14

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
The seller reported it lost or stolen after they sold it to CEX - common fraud unfortunately.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122813 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
The seller reported it lost or stolen after they sold it to CEX - common fraud unfortunately.

Yes I realise this.....maybe to check again before they actually sell it.? No scrub that...you could report it lost and claim insurance at any time. RIsky for CEX then? It's a wonder they are still in business!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your responses.

I appreciate the commonality of the fraud, hence the purchase from an apparently 'reputable' retailer.

However, I fail to see how O2 can negate this level of loss?

I know we pay way over the manufacturing costs for a handset, but if this is a common event, the loss must be massive. Surely O2 would be more conscientious of this level of fraudulent activity?

It would apear that a trip back to CEX may be in order, although as they are the 'middle man' and having conducted all their required checks prior to onward sale, I doubt I will have much luck?

£280 down the plughole!

Unhappy is an understatement.Smiley Mad

Message 6 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122813 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous  This really has nothing to do with O2. If a phone is reported lost or stolen they have to block it for the security of the genuine cases. CEX buy a phone after they do the checks. Point is the scammers know it will be checked so don't report the loss until AFTER that one check. @MI5 has said CEX should refund you...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 14

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
CEX are insured against this and in addition if you want to sell to them you have to provide valid ID.
They know exactly who sold them the phone so will pursue them for their money back.
As said - nothing to do with O2 at all and CEX are not the "middle man" - you have a contract with them so it is their direct ownership of the issue.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I do hope they will refund me.

I appreciate this isnt 'directly' anthing to do with O2. I understand that standpoint exactly.

I asked if there was anything that could be done to unblock the handset - via O2.

Again, thank you all for your advice.

CraigD75

Message 9 of 14

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
The phone now belongs to the insurance company who paid out on it.
It is illegal for anyone or any network to unblock it.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 14