Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto downloading apk

paulbacon
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Was browsing a forum i use regularly earlier and noticed my phone downloaded something. Looking in my download history was a random long file name (cant remember title) and was an APK file. I deleted it straight away

Now this forum does have ads so was wondering if maybe an ad triggered the download or if i clicked it by mistake? I have the "dont install from 3rd party sites" ticked in security settings. Didnt know it was possible to auto download files without user permission?
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147262 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28301 Solutions
There is only an "install from unknown sources" option and as I said above, it won't install unless you move the switch to allow it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 147262 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28301 Solutions
Yeah, it can happen and is annoying, but harmless as long as you don't install it.
Install from unknown sources is off by default now so the user would have to intervene to install the .apk
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 8

jonsie
  • 93353 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6986 Solutions

You would normally need to have download from other sources ticked to download an apk file. You did right in deleting though.

Message 3 of 8

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I see an "install from unknown sources" but not download. I assume there is no way for a rogue apk to auto install unless i have that option ticked?
Message 4 of 8

MI5
  • 147262 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28301 Solutions
There is only an "install from unknown sources" option and as I said above, it won't install unless you move the switch to allow it.
Message 5 of 8

paulbacon
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Cheers thanks for that. Scared me abit never had a file download without my permission before
Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 147262 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28301 Solutions
No need to panic wink
Message 7 of 8

jonsie
  • 93353 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6986 Solutions