cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone with a SGSIII on 4.1.2 experiencing constant freezing?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I received an in-phone notification last Tuesday from Samsung alerting me to an update to my existing 4.1.2 firmware so I went ahead with it. When the update finished, I noticed straight away that my phone was lagging considerably and when I cleared my RAM, it would take sometimes up to 20 seconds for my phone to become responsive again. This is my third Galaxy S device (after the SGSI and SGSII) so I'm very familiar with the OS and basic troubleshooting so I put this down to a need for a factory reset.

After factory resetting, I didn't install any apps for a while just in case it was a rogue app hanging but I noticed no change. In fact, it became worse. My phone would randomly freeze up. I'd be doing everyday stuff like browsing the internet/Twitter and my screen would just hang. Sometimes I would take it out of my pocket and I'd be unable to unlock it, it would just stay blank and the only way to revive the device would be to force restart either by holding the power button or removing the battery.

I spent about 4 hours researching the issue last night to see if it was a global problem or just my phone and I discovered that this issue was affecting hundreds of people, all on 4.1.2. One particular dev forum believes the issue points to a fault with devices bought around 5-7 months ago that all break and become corrupt with this software update. I've not rooted nor manipulated my device in anyway, this all happened after updating officially via Samsung.

Anyway, could someone suggest what I should do next? Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 111
110 REPLIES 110

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 phoned me today and arranged for me to send my device to their repair centre. The guy said they use Samsung engineers to repair handsets so I felt comfortable. This is a serious software problem affecting thousands of customers on Android 4.1.2 that needs to be addressed by Samsung themselves. I'm awaiting my pre-paid envelope to arrive but should I perhaps phone Samsung?
Message 11 of 111

Anonymous
Not applicable

The main difference is o2 will send you a refurb phone when inevitably they fail to fix your phone, whereas Samsung supposedly send you a factory sealed unit.

Message 12 of 111

Anonymous
Not applicable

**bleep** sake O2 why lie over a £400 device? He assured me Samsung engineers will fix the issue so I arranged for my phone to be sent off. The issue is either software or hardware related and therefore surely Samsung should deal with it? I don't want my phone to be butchered unnecessarily nor to I want to receive a refurbished sub-standard device all the time I'm still in warranty what the hell O2?

Message 13 of 111

Anonymous
Not applicable
Actually Samsung do use Anovo as well! But Samsung only really recommend repair through themselves (as I found out too late)
Message 14 of 111

Anonymous
Not applicable
So do I phone Samsung tomorrow and arrange something directly with them?
Message 15 of 111

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So do I phone Samsung tomorrow and arrange something directly with them?

Entirely up to you. You could always call and ask what the repair options are.

O2 offer a repair service in which the engineers are accredited to repair Samsung handsets and, if booked in with Customer Services, is a fast turnaround. If this can't be repaired, as said, it may be swapped for a refurbished handset which is one which, although not straight out the box, is in the same working order as one which is.

The choice really is yours.

Message 16 of 111

Anonymous
Not applicable
Overall turnaround via O2 has been good, repair quality non existent though. Be prepared for at least 2 non-repairs using either before getting a replacement.
Message 17 of 111

Anonymous
Not applicable

But if O2 can't fix it why send a refurbished device when the warranty states customers receive a replacement?

Message 18 of 111

Anonymous
Not applicable

The warranty doesn't state it will be a brand new phone that you receive. Both Samsung and O2 are entitled to give you a refurbished model which is in working order as a replacement should your handset be faulty under the manufacturer's warranty.

Message 19 of 111

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thing is I love my phone, I've looked after it, never dropped it, haven't scratched it and now I'm faced with a hardware/software problem that has nothing to do with me. I don't know what I'm going to be sent back and the possibility of receiving a Frankenstein inspired device as a replacement has me riled especially seeing how this is all down to Samsung's dodgy firmware. I just want my old faithful device which I've had for 6 months fixed!
Message 20 of 111