cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone with a SGSIII on 4.1.2 experiencing constant freezing?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I received an in-phone notification last Tuesday from Samsung alerting me to an update to my existing 4.1.2 firmware so I went ahead with it. When the update finished, I noticed straight away that my phone was lagging considerably and when I cleared my RAM, it would take sometimes up to 20 seconds for my phone to become responsive again. This is my third Galaxy S device (after the SGSI and SGSII) so I'm very familiar with the OS and basic troubleshooting so I put this down to a need for a factory reset.

After factory resetting, I didn't install any apps for a while just in case it was a rogue app hanging but I noticed no change. In fact, it became worse. My phone would randomly freeze up. I'd be doing everyday stuff like browsing the internet/Twitter and my screen would just hang. Sometimes I would take it out of my pocket and I'd be unable to unlock it, it would just stay blank and the only way to revive the device would be to force restart either by holding the power button or removing the battery.

I spent about 4 hours researching the issue last night to see if it was a global problem or just my phone and I discovered that this issue was affecting hundreds of people, all on 4.1.2. One particular dev forum believes the issue points to a fault with devices bought around 5-7 months ago that all break and become corrupt with this software update. I've not rooted nor manipulated my device in anyway, this all happened after updating officially via Samsung.

Anyway, could someone suggest what I should do next? Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 111
110 REPLIES 110

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You could always try reflashing the previous firmware yourself if you think that is the problem. BTW, you wouldn't know that you got a refurbished device. The phones are exactly as new except for plain packaging without accessories.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 111

Anonymous
Not applicable
But I don't know what the problem is. What if it is hardware related? Who's to say it won't happen again in the future? I'll go ahead and send it off to O2 but what the guy said a couple of posts back has me concerned.
Message 22 of 111

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Just my opinion of been around the industry for 20 + years, I Honestly I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 23 of 111

Anonymous
Not applicable
My fear of a refurb is that anovo have twice sent me my handset stating it has been repaired when it clearly hasn't.
When I get my 'refurb' who will get my handset as a 'refurb'?
Or do they apply far more rigour to the refurb testing and setup?
Message 24 of 111

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
A refurb is basically a new phone but not one assembled by the factory down the production line. It can only be called "new" if it comes off process. Anything that is reworked, for any reason, away from the normal process is classed as "refurb".

Currently using:
Message 25 of 111

Anonymous
Not applicable
A refurbished phone, to me, sounds like a device made up from other phones hence the reason I referred to it as Frankenstein-inspired.
Message 26 of 111

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
A refurbished phone, to me, sounds like a device made up from other phones hence the reason I referred to it as Frankenstein-inspired.
It may sound like it to you, but not the case in reality wink

Currently using:
Message 27 of 111

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok so how do these refurbs come about then?
Message 28 of 111

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
They are assembled from new parts either at the factory or by approved service centres. Many service centres will have their own stock to allow for a quick turnaround. No one will get a "used" phone to replace their faulty one. They always will come in a plain box without accessories (quite often no battery or back cover so you will have your original ones of those attached to the new phone).

Currently using:
Message 29 of 111

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, and if I get a refurb and have issues with that, is the option of going firect to Samsung for repair still available or am I locked into going via o2?
What about scratches and stuff on the device, are you entitled to refuse a scratched device? Mind is in pristine condition and don't see why I should accept anything less (yes, you can see how this is going to turn out!)
Message 30 of 111