cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

24 month contract on phone that lasted only 6 months! feeling ripped off!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Feeling very disappointed and frankly, feel I have been ripped off!

I bought 2 Sony Experia phones for myself and my son 6 months ago. Both phones have now stopped working other than basic texting and calls. Even then, they both freeze regularly. Apparently the issue is that the phones have run out of memory. When we bought the phones in good faith and we were assured they had 8GB of memory. In fact 4GB is taken up with the Android system, 3GB is taken up with Apps that cannot be uninstalled, leaving only 1GB of memory. We have moved everything possible to memory cards, regularly clear the caches, delete all Apps other than the pre-installed ones and have now been left with 2 phones that don't work since Sony updated their systems. I went into the local 02 store this weekend to be told that basically, there is nothing they can do apart from offer to change our contract for £80 each to buy us out the contract (or £60 each if we trade in our phones). Not happy!! It is not unreasonable to expect a phone to last longer than 6 months when the contract is for 24 months. This cannot be considered good practice. I did have a call from a customer services manager later that day who promised to call me back the next day (that was yesterday) and as yet I haven't heard from him again. That's appalling customer service as well to add to the list of woes. I have been a customer of 02 for several years and feel totally ripped off now. 

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10268 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3021 Solutions
Im sorry but most people now do buy a memory card, for saving photos etc, so the 8Gb of storage does last 2 or more years.

It does blatantly say on Sony's website that you lose 5GB of storage before updates so the

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/phones/xperia-m4-aqua/specifications/#tabs

I would speak to Sony, as I said its not o2's fault that you chose that device.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 11 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no suggestion i was "forced" to buy this phone . My issue is that I was at no point advised that the functionality on the phone would be severly compromised by the OS and pre-installed APPS.  My contract is with 02, not Sony, therefore I expect them to take some responsibilty for their sales and aftercare. 

Message 12 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

All photos have been moved to SD card. there is no music on my phone or anythings other than basic functions. The 02 GURU has advised there is nothing he can do to free up any other space. The system itself has used even more memory since sony upgraded. 

Message 13 of 20

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10268 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3021 Solutions

@Anonymoushave you spoken to Sony?  o2 wont help as the OS has been updated by SONY, not o2, and looks like its been pushed to a handset with limited storage..

All there contact methods can be found at this link
http://support.sonymobile.com/gb/xperiam4aqua/contactUs/

There phone number is ‎+44 3705237237

They also offer live chat and email support.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 14 of 20

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Hook it up to Xperia companion and perform a repair installation, the preinstalled apps are not 3gb, the Sony ones are part of the system and in the android system partition.
Wipe the lot and clear out the junk left behind by uninsulated apps.
Back it up first or you'll lose the hundreds of pictures from 3Rd party apps
Message 15 of 20

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
You can also have the apps install to the SD card....
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 16 of 20

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
No you can't, you can move app data after the fact
Message 17 of 20

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Really?.. Well that's a pure show from android.
Message 18 of 20

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Not really, it prevents a lot of back door access via hidden permissions in app installations. You uses to be able to but a lot of security flags highlighted the sd card as a severe vulnerability prior to jellybean
Message 19 of 20

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Ah, I've not used android for a few years. Makes sense now you put it like that.
Message 20 of 20