cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming problems in France done all troubleshooting tips still not working.

Justineotoo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have no roaming in France. I can make phone calls but can’t access the internet. Everything worked fine in the uk.
I have done the following: turned roaming on, turned off 4G and selected 3G, made sure the apn address was mobile.o2.co.uk, rebooted my phone.

Still not working. 
Can anyone give me a solution? I would so appreciate it.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36287 Posts
  • 233 Topics
  • 1604 Solutions

If you have done a manual search for a 4G or a 5G network, and enabled "Data Roaming" as well as Roaming on your handset, you should be able to pick up a useable carrier. Switching down to 3G is not guaranteed to work, as many countries in Europe are in the midst of the removal of 3G from their infrastructure. Also check with O2 that you do not have a Roaming Bar in place on your account, and here is the number to call O2 from France for free from your handset if you are Pay Monthly, orif you are in a location with a WiFi signal, the O2 Social Media link just below will help you get to them - good luck, @Justineotoo 

From abroad+44 7860 980 202

Free†

Message 2 of 10

Justineotoo
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you so much @pgn for your response. I used the number you provided but o2 could not find a solution. No roaming bar they say. Everything should work they say. However, they did not ask about any troubleshooting procedures on my end. Honestly, I called them quite a few times (call kept getting dropped), but they were mostly concerned if my account was in order and if I still had data. Both of which I had.

is it possible there’s a setting on my phone? (iPhone 6s)(I know, an oldy but a goody). I saw something in my settings called a ‘sim password’. I tried it with my phone password and got a warning message saying I have two more tries for the password or my SIM card will be locked.could this be something?

unfortunately I’m not on any socials atm.

j

Message 3 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Don't mess with the sim password, it won't be that giving an issue

You need to go into the phone settings and change the APN to mobile.o2.co.uk

Reboot the phone after and you should be good to then use data

Message 4 of 10

Justineotoo
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for warning me off the Sim password! My apn address is already mobile.o2.co.uk but I see a second place to put the apn under a section titled ‘mms’ (the other section it titled ‘cellular’). Right now that address is payandgo.o2.co.uk Might this be the problem?

Message 5 of 10

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36287 Posts
  • 233 Topics
  • 1604 Solutions

Good info from @jonsie. And MMS relates to sending of (costly to all!) Picture Messages,@Justineotoo - Guide: Accidental MMS Sending and How to Avoid it tells you about that MMS.

In your case, if O2 CS confirm you have no Roaming Bar in place, just change your data apn to "mobile.o2.co.uk" (it may be set at "idata.o2.co.uk", as it is an iPhone), reboot the phone, and then do a manual search for available networks, pick one, and see how you get on. Your iPhone 6S does support 4G, and should pick up 4G carriers - if any say 3G on your list of networks, try them out if you wish.

Good luck, @Justineotoo.

Message 6 of 10

Justineotoo
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

thank you for your response, yet no luck so far. 
I have followed all suggestions. I am on the right apn. Rebooted my phone. Manually selected a network. My phone sees the network (orange F) and says it in the upper left corner of my screen. 
yet when I turn off my wifi and turn on a browser I get a message saying I am not connected to the internet.

any other possible suggestions??

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 144780 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27735 Solutions

@Justineotoo 

Make sure mobile data is on and set phone to 4g.

4g works great on OrangeF

Also check in mobile data settings that apps are allowed to access mobile data.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 10

Justineotoo
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks so much @MI5 @and @pgn and @jonsie . This was the simple solution:

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

There was a bit of reluctance to take this route as there’s a fear that I’m re-setting more than just the network. But it was unfounded. The phone did it all. 
Finally fixed.

Appreciate all the support!

Message 9 of 10

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions