Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get a new sim - a second account

VictoriaRose
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So I'm trying to get a monthly contract through quidco through uswitch for my mother.

Was hoping to add it to my account so I could pay for it.
I have been with o2 for like forever, and pay my bill off in full every month.

Went through the sign up pages.  Get to the final credit check and it says:

"Blah, blah blah

As well as our credit scoring system, we use business policies to assess all new applications. This time, you didn't meet minimum criteria so we're unable to progress your application.
Our business policies are commercially sensitive, so we're unable to tell you the specific reason. Sorry."

I have excellent credit rating; no reason I wouldn't but I checked anyway.  So no idea whatsoever why they wouldn't give me a new sim.

Tried doing it in my mother's name - kind of fall at the hurdle of 'put your mobile number in'???!!! Its for a new account... so no mobile number, (and then if I use mine it eventually says it is associated with another account)  Somehow got past that, went through all the pages, and my mother also seemingly failed the final credit check....

Are O2 web pages just not working??  
Tried getting through on the phone, but had problems there.... again 'is it about this number you're calling from', and then I failed my security check for some unknown reason as my answer was definitely correct! don't think it liked my regional accent today.  But of course who knows how long the wait is.......  waited for a bit but....

Sorry, not a happy bunny today.
Need a sim card. 
Don't live anywhere near a physical shop to be able to get one and they probably wouldn't match the online offer from uswitch (or other comparison sites).
I probably should be waiting til April to see the deals then as there is obviously going to be a price increase basically straight away, but was supposed to sort this out for her birthday so was hoping to make it a mother's day pressie...

Grrrrr
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145096 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions

@VictoriaRose 

No reasoning behind O2's policies just lately but as you have been refused, it's unlikely to be changed anytime soon.

I'd suggest you try a different network or get your Mum a PAYG sim.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 7

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 6811 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1521 Solutions

Happens a lot....just walk

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145096 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions

Best option for sure

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 4 of 7

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6437 Posts
  • 116 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@VictoriaRose 

This is complete speculation on my part, but I believe that many organisations are now paying more attention to identity checks as part of their credit checking procedures.

It is fine that you have an excellent credit score, but are you on the Voters' List (electoral register) at your home address ? Have you moved home recently ? Did you input your address onto your USwitch application in exactly the same format as it is on your bank etc statements ?

Even minor discrepancies can cause issues and lead to your application being declined.  

Message 5 of 7

VictoriaRose
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yup, on the electoral register (we had to re-register just last year as they were 'cleaning' it up), always have been.  Have always lived in this house, so *cough* 50 years or so; Have not been doing anything 'exciting' for many years now.  Made sure my bank details were the same. And apart from all that, I was logged into my current O2 account, and ticked the 'i have an account and want to add a second sim' option (wording may have been different) - this seemed to be on an O2 page that uswitch brought me to, so you'd think since they have my details that it would be easy to not fail a 'credit check' or whatever since I am already a customer...... *shrug*

I might try the cheap lebara sim - it seems to be on the vodafone network, so this would give me a chance to see if vodafone is good in my nearby surroundings, and then if not, it's only like a month's contract so I should be able to switch and hopefully take the number with us; and maybe O2 will have fixed things or there will be goodish deals in April after the price hike.  Bit of a hassle, but maybe less hassle trying to sort out an O2 sim!

Message 6 of 7

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6437 Posts
  • 116 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

That sounds like a decent plan @VictoriaRose ; and testing Vodaphone at least adds to your knowledge of what works and what doesn't work in your vicinity. 👍 

Message 7 of 7