Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appalling signal

Michael2021
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Made the switch from Vodafone after 12 years as O2's coverage checker shows perfect 4G signal for miles where I live. However, I get 1 bar 4G indoor with my signal constantly moving between 3G/4G (New-build house with thin walls, 2nd floor).

If I go for a 20 min walk around where I live (and within the proclaimed perfect 4G signal), I get 2 bars 4G signal with regular 3G appearance.

Annoyingly, the O2 coverage checker also shows I should get perfect "4G call" signal, suggesting I will be able to make calls via FaceTime Audio, Skype etc. Again, this is not the case and the audio is constantly dropping plus 90% of the time it says 3G with 2 bars when on a "data call" both indoor and outdoor.

What I find most astonishing, is that when speaking to O2 to explain the huge difference in the service provided vs the service claimed I should get, they simply say it depends on anything blocking the signal such as buildings and trees etc. How can they claim a perfect signal but then backtrack and blame something as simple as buildings/trees which have been around for centuries and are nothing new.

If I say I'll pay my bill in full every month but then only pay half, is that ok too?

Vodafone's signal was average and they never claimed it would be any different. In fact, my data calls through Vodafone both indoor and outdoor would be miles better compared to O2. Seriously regret moving to O2 as it genuinely feels like I've gone back in time by 20 years.

PS. I have tried the SIM in 3 different phones and get the same result (iPhone, Samsung HTC).

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144386 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Michael2021 

Unfortunatelyl signal checkers are only theoretical computer simulations.

We always advise customers to check with a PAYG sim or cancel within the first 28 days if signal is poor.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

Michael2021
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ok, but to base those theoretical computer simulations on a planet that look like Mars with nothing blocking the signal between the mast and the device seems a little misleading and the coverage checker tool somewhat redundant/pointless.

Looking at the latter option, sadly.
Message 3 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144386 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
There's no substitute for real life tests.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 8

Michael2021
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Rubbish... There're plenty of ways this could be done. However, it would paint a very different picture to the current claimed coverage and hence not a wise investment.
Message 5 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23082 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

@Michael2021 When you find a coverage checker from any network that gives more than a generalised picture, please let us know.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 8

Michael2021
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for adding zero value to the conversation @Bambino 

Message 7 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23082 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions
If I've added zero value @Michael2021, since you're all knowing, show me a coverage checker from any other network that does more than the O2 checker. I stand by my previous post. They're all bad, but you obviously are much wiser, so moan away.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 8