Did you mean: 

Try the Tech: New phase!

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

As many of you know, we often loan devices out to members, so that you can have a go with the some of the latest phones to see what you think. You can then also write reviews or guides about the devices, which helps other members on the community decide whether to consider them slight_smile

We're ready for a new phase and below are the devices we currently have to loan out:

SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 MINI 

SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE3 

SONY XPERIA Z BLACK 

SONY Z1  

NOKIA 1020

SONY XPERIA Z ULTRA

SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB3 10.1 4G

HTC ONE MINI SILVER

MOTOROLA MOTO X

We have more than one of some of these devices, giving more of you a chance to test them out! If you'd like to have a go, post here or send me a private message and we can discuss options slight_smile

Also, if you have any ideas of devices you'd like to try out in the future that are not included here, let us know too!

Toby

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 173
172 REPLIES 172

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Toby

Thank you for adding the Blackberry models. Brings balance to the reviews being accumulated on the Community Forum. slight_smile
Message 21 of 173

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oooh DEFO Z30 pleeeeeeeeaaassseeeee.

Pm On way
Message 22 of 173

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Z30 for me next time too please slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 23 of 173

DinoF
Level 12: Nimble
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Toby has confirmed to me that I wil be receiving my chosen device - the Nokia 1020, however, I have a quick question...!!

Stupid quuestin but how do I go about actually testing thie device..?!

By that I mean :  my current iPhone 5 obviously will have a different sized sim than the Noka handset so its not a case of just putting my sim into the Nokia and away I go...!  Is it gonna have to be case of transferring my number to a new sim card specifically for the Nokia and then transferring it back to my iPhone sim, once the testing period is over..?! Help

Would it be better if I just test out the Nokia functions just by buying a cheap Pay As You go sim card instead of using my contract sim?!

Message 24 of 173

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had a micro sim sent to me and top that up by £10 on the pay as you go go go £10.

https://www.o2.co.uk/freesim/

Or pick one up from the O2 shop.

I didn't want to mess around with my main number and account.

O2 shops supply sim adapters free
So that would make your nano sim into a micro sim if you wish thus negating the need to sim swap.
Message 25 of 173

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I had a micro sim sent to me and top that up by £10 on the pay as you go go go £10.

https://www.o2.co.uk/freesim/

Or pick one up from the O2 shop.

I didn't want to mess around with my main number and account.

O2 shops supply sim adapters free
So that would make your nano sim into a micro sim if you wish thus negating the need to sim swap.

.....actually - that sounds like a good idea! There is an O2 shop a minute's walk from where I work so might just pop in there and pick up a sim for the Nokia (if it doesn't come with one) and just top it up with £10 or so!

'Not messing around with my main number and account' is definately good advice.

Good Idea

Message 26 of 173

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

You can get more allowances if you use a giffgaff sim and will work in an O2 locked phone

giffgaff sim

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 27 of 173

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

You can get more allowances if you use a giffgaff sim and will work in an O2 locked phone

giffgaff sim

...it says on GiffGaff's website that their Pay as You go sims only work in unlocked phones?! I am guessing the Nokia I get will be locked to O2......

Message 28 of 173

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
giffgaff is on O2 network and will work fine if phone is locked to O2.

Currently using:
Message 29 of 173

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes they are locked to O2 but as said Giffgaff will work fine. slight_smile
Message 30 of 173